Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

89 Honda: LX..Sedan..serviced..dealership as required

Customer Question
Hello, I have an 89 Honda...
I have an 89 Honda LX Sedan, 5 speed. Car has been in the family since 1992. Very well maintained, serviced at dealership as required and has brought over 230K pleasurable miles. Recently, I was coming out of a residential area downslope decelerating while in 2 nd gear. Once I came to the intersection, I noticed the engine sputter - I good smell fuel. I then proceeded left and the car sputtered a few more times. I pulled over to the right side of the road where the engine died. I checked for any fuel leaks under the hood - none found. I tried to restart the engine and I noticed a different cranking "sound" while cranking over the engine. No knocking or anything, but, I have been used to an even quick start. All electrical is fine, starter and alternator recently replaced with new belts. Recent full tune up, new radiator, coolant temperature fine and all oil levels fine. I then called for a tow truck and had the car delivered to my residence. I removed the upper timing belt cover, inspected the timing belt and the ribs are in tact but the belt is bit loose. Could it have jumped timing?

Appreciate your help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/27/2010
Mechanic for Honda: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this. Yes, it certainly could have. Have you aligned the timing marks to see? If not, let me know and I can send you a diagram to assist.
I would appreciate a diagram
Good morning. Thank you for your patience CLICK HERE and please let me know if I can be of further assistance.