Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1992 Honda Civic: AC..Its already been retro-fitted..refrigerant…

Customer Question
How do I recharge the...
How do I recharge the AC on my 1992 Honda Civic? It's already been retro-fitted for the new refrigerant.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/27/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 8 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

hi

to do tis correctly,you need a manifold gage set, a vacuum pump and a way of pressurizing the system to check for leaks...but,you you just want to give it a quick charge,you can buy a recharge kit at most auto parts stores and department stores,,,just start the car,,connect the charge kit to the low side of the a/c system and fill till you get between 32 & 50 psi on the low side....just follow the directions on the kit

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair
I wanted to add a quick charge. As I'm running the engine, I can hear the engine change as the compressor turns on and off. I'm not sure it's when the compressor is on or off, but the pressure reads about 50. When the compressor changes states, the pressure pops up to about 60-65. On my gauge that's in the red 'warning' range. Will that damage my system? I released a little so it's not as bad, but still in the red zone. And it's not cooling as much as I'd like.

ok

you may have other problems...you need to keep it below /around 40 -50..it may not be cooling because you have too much in it

thanks

It is a '92, so you may be right about other problems. The pressure was reading around 45 when I plugged it in before I added any refrigerant. Any quick ideas what could be wrong? (Last question.) Thanks for your help.

well

you may need to change the orifice tube..it may be clogged up.......these r12 systems don't work as well on the 134 anyways....the pump is not designed for it

thanks