Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1997 Honda Accord SE: 2.2L..4 speed Auto Trans..lift..transaxle…

We a 1997 Honda Accord...
We a 1997 Honda Accord SE 2.2L with 4 speed Auto Trans with 150K miles. (My daughters college car). Recently a noise which first thought to be CV joints proofed to be wrong but rather running the car on a lift and using a stethoscope the noise (a quick rotary thumping sound) is coming from the transaxle area.

Have a clue to what it might be.
6/26/2010
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

hello welcome to the site

are you able to make the noise if you vere to the left or to the right ?

if you grab the inner axle are you able to get any play in it ?

No change in noise at any speed or when turning either way. No play in the axle and no leaking at the trans case.
have the wheel bearings been checked yet?
4 weeks ago we put on new rotors and entire new bearing hubs and new brakes. The bearings is what we consider second but the noice was not coming frow either hub. The noise is much louder in the diferential area.<br /><br />Dale

ok then this sure sounds like a diff but with out heaing this first hand it's tough to be100%.

MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician
I was just in Fresno last week working on an airplane... small world. If it were you would you take it to a transmission specailist (one who knows Honda's) or to the the honda dealership?

well it is a small world.

a transmission shop would be my first place as the dealer is going to be alot higher then a transmission shop .

which air port

Fresno International,,, I work on Experimental aircraft and this was a twin engine Defiant designed by my old boss Burt Rutan of Mojave. Thanks for your help!

thats cool i have the skypark near my home and they have regular fly inns.

Turned out to be a left front bearing after all. I am a triple engineer and the first sheep skin I earned was Automotive engineering. I raced as a young man and wanted to know much more and this really helped. I say this to give the understanding that I can't be bullshitted easily about cars. I went back to your questions and you also thought "Wheel Bearing" and I wasn't the one who checked them I decided to do my own checking. With the help of a friend in the auto business we put the Accord up on the lift with the engine running and in gear and used a stethoscope - it was very obvious to be coming from the left front bearing and it turned out to be the wear face of the new bearing RACE was coming apart. About 1/2" long and1/4" wide right in the curved portion of the race. It is back together and running fine now. Thanks for your help, without it we might have been looking at the transmission. Now to get the company we bought the bearings from to pay for all the labor.

Dale
Dale thats good news. Just because its new does not mean their can't be a problem.
That's a tough pill to swallow and some times the customer does not see it as a possibility but I'm glad you did this first hand and seen for your self.
Dino