Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

The light came back next day

Customer Question
P1165 we changed the Primary...
P1165 we changed the Primary HO(2)S (Sensor 1). The light came back next day. We changed it again assuming it was defective, it came back a few days later. Followed the instructions on Alldata, the light is still on.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/26/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Are you using a factory replacement O2 sensor or universal aftermarket?

When you say you followed all directions from Alldata, this means that you went thru each of the many individual diagnostic steps as well, including ones that REQUIRE a diagnostic scanner for testingg?

aftermarket

Ok, assuming you went thru each and every diagnostic step in the troubleshooting for this code and there are no issues with wiring harness or ecm.

I never use aftermarket O2 sensors on Honda or Toyotas. They seem to be very finicky about O2 sensors and converters. The reason is that aftermarket universal sensors are made to fit a multitude of year, makes, models, and engine sizes. in other words, the one you are using will fit many, many vehicles. therefore, they do not have the EXACT voltage tolerances called for for your specific year, make, model, and engine. If readings are off by even a couple of millivolts, the fault code will be set.

The only way you are going to get this code to go off and stay off is to install a honda factory replacement o2 sensor.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for more help, otherwise click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement you agreed to as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, experience, diagrams or documents provided, research time, or knowledge until you do so. thank you and have a good day..

We ordered from dealer. They deliver on Mon. I will let you know if it worked. Thank you.
Sorry for the delay. The customer is coming tomorrow. I will let you know. Thx

no problem

we changed the sensor from the dealer, the tech reset the light and he says he does not like the reading for the output voltage which stays at 0.81v. He states it should flactuate between .3 - .4V. Please let me know if this is true. Thx. Yuri

The tech is correct that the reading should fluctuate. When the aftermarket sensor was installed, was the wiring harness cut to direct wire it?

No wires were cut. To me both AM and dealer look the same.

The AM has a lot black soot around the metal peace. Any idea why is that?