Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Diagram..the engine harness connects to the car harness

Customer Question
hi, i was wondering....
hi, i was wondering. Is there a specific diagram for the plugs and groupings for where the engine harness connects to the car harness?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/26/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Matt Carey, Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Honda Technician

Hi this is MATT. Are you saying that you have a 96 Prelude S and your installing a 97 h22a4 motor w/ harness?

I should be able to help you with wiring diagrams from either motors/ year vehicles. It might be some work to dig thru diagrams, but I'll try to help you with the Motor to chasis connectors. Tell me where they are, how many, and as much info as you can give me. MATT

Edited by Matt Carey on 6/26/2010 at 9:22 PM EST
ok, yes. my chassis is a 96 prelude S and i'm trying to put in a 97 prelude base h22a4. there are 4 main plugs that connect the engine harness to the chassis harness. i know that the engine harness is supposed to have 3 more wires to it as far as the 2 for vtec and the 1 for the knock sensor, as far as different from the car harness(because the car didn't have it before..) so i've got 4 plugs (2 w/14 pins:1 male w/ an empty spot so 13 wires total in a 14 pin plug, 1 female w/ all 14 wires...1 w/10 pins:male and 1 w/8 pins:female) out of all pins, only missing the one wire, but the car harness plugs are missing 3 more because of the previous engine setup. i have 4 codes popping up on the computer which are: P0113, P0118, P1259 and P1498. so obviously these pins from the car are going to the wrong ones in the engine harness, and i don't know what others are wrong. if these wires are in the wrong spots, then what else is in the wrong spot...i'm at a major stand still right now obviously..the engine cranks, and floods fuel, but no spark and no engine start. i need to be able to convert at the plugs vs. the ecu because the connection at the plugs is the problem, not at the ecu. please please help.

Okay, I'll see what I can do. Unfortunately , the wire diagrams don't show those connectors. Did you change the ECM also? And Just so I'm clear, the engine side has three wires that the car side doesn't. What do you mean, you "are missing only the one wire"

For the codes, P1259 is VTEC MALF, set because the solenoid and switch were not used with the original motor. The other three codes should have nothing to do with the swap. The pins on the ECM are the same for each motor. I would check the ECT, IAT , and EGR valve lift sensor. They all share the same sensor ground (Green/black), on the car side this sensor ground is green/white. But pin locations should be the same. You could find this wire in the connector and verify this.

For the VTEC , I would assume you need the ECM to go with the 97 motor, and If the ECM harness is missing those three wires (2 vtec, 1 knock), then you have to run new wires. I can give you diagrams, and help with pin location. MATT

graphicgraphicgraphic

Edited by Matt Carey on 6/27/2010 at 4:29 PM EST

Yes, i changed out the ECM. I just got the 37820-p13-a12 that's the stock for a 96 si vtec, but it doesn't have the immobilizer, so it'll work right for it.

As far as "missing only 1 wire", i'm not actually "missing" one on the engine side, i just meant it as, out of all the wires in the plugs on the engine side, i only have the one empty spot, where as i have 4 i believe on the car side(3 being originally non-equipped).

So you say that even though they're all different colors and such, that the plugs and pins in them should be the same? as far as going to the same places? if so, then why the codes?

If i'm understanding this correctly, i should check to make sure that in the plugs, wherever the green/white wire is, in whichever of the 4 on the car side, that it has a green/black wire hooking into it from the engine side of the same plug?

As far as the vtec and knock wires, i should have no problem with them..i figured i'd have to run those seperately anyways...

Okay, You are correct about matching up the green/black wire eng. side to green/ white car side. This wire is the sensor ground for the ECT, IAT, and EGR lift sensors. All of which you have a high voltage code for. Lack of ground will cause high voltage? Hmmm? Check the connector and see if you can find this wire. I wish I had diagrams that showed these connectors, but we should be able to figure it out by colors. If you find it , and green/black connects to green/white, then check to see that you have a good ground on that wire.

For the three missing wires, You have the right ECM but the ecm connector and wiring harness does not include these wires.(correct?)

IN that case, use the diagram and run new wires.

ECM A8 green/yellow (it changes to ) green/white to VTEC solenoid

ECM C15 blue/black to VTEC press. sw.

ECM D6 red/blue to knock sensor

So let me know what you find, I have never done this swap. But All of the ECM pin terminals matched up between the two motors. I have no way to check the motor to chasis conns. , but I can't imagine that they would change things around. Doesn't make since as far as manufacturing.

Anyway, let me know, what you find. Sounds like all you need to do is run three wire, and figure out the sensor ground problem.

ok, just checked it out..

i have 2 G/B wires coming from the engine into the plugs, 1 Larger wire, 1 smaller wire.

the Larger G/B wire(female) connects to nothing (empty spot) on the car side. the smaller G/B wire(male) is in a seperate plug and connects to a Y/BL wire(female;car side).

As far as the G/W wire(male) that comes from the Car side, it connects into a Y/BL wire(female), which is on the same plug that the Lg G/B wire(female) is.

Okay, I'll do some research, but, Take a look at the green/black wire on the engine, at the ECT, IAT, or EGR sensors, and see if you can compare size/wire gage. That should tell you which one is the sensor ground. Let me know, AND I'll look into it. MATT I think we are on the right track.

Just to make sure you understood what I meant. Look at the green/black wire to any of those three sensors( ECT, IAT, EGR), and try to match it (in size) to one of the wires at the engine connector. The one that matches should connect thru the connector to the chasis to a green/ white wire, which goes to the PCM, which is sensor ground from the PCM. Let me know , MATT

Ok, checked each sensor.

IAT => B/Y & R/BL

ECT => G/B & R/W

sm

EGR => W/B-G/B-Y/BL

sm

all are the same small size at 16/18g

You said that you found two green/black wires at the connectors, one big and one small. Look at the green/black wire to the ECT, and see if it matches the smaller green/black wire at the connector. Does it connect to a green/white on the car side?

Are you sure about the IAT sensor wires? I show red/yellow and green/black.

Also do you have a meter to check that you have a ground on the green/black wire?

Also when you look at those connectors, are you saying that none of the colors match up? Or most do? or what. I wish I had something showing those conn.s.

MATT

Edited by Matt Carey on 6/28/2010 at 9:19 PM EST