Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Honda: ac blower..blower only..only works..the blower power…

Steve 2001 honda odyessy EX heater/ac blower...
Steve

2001 honda odyessy EX
heater/ac blower only works on high or auto
replace the blower power transistor
the problem remains the same

thanks

Brad
6/25/2010
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
your Odyssey has a self diagnostic function. Try this and see what you get:
graphicgraphic

Steve

88 then the "n" segment lights up

Brad

Steve

I hope you are on line tonight.

Brad

Sorry, I was busy all day at work today.
"n" is a problem in the blower Blower Motor Circuit.
Did you get the blower transistor from the Honda dealer?
If you ground the black wire at the power transistor, does the blower operate properly?

steve

Yes I got the power transistor from my local Honda dealer. My wife is not home from work yet. She should be home shortly. I will check then.

Brad

Ok, let me know what happens.
I grounded the black wire frome the blower power transistor, no change the blower only works on high and auto
Let me back track a minute. Does the blower speed vary when on auto or just run at hi speed?
runs at high speed only
I have a quick test for you here to try. I doubt the new transistor is bad and doing the same thing as the old one.

graphicgraphic

Steve

Put a volt meter on at 2000 scale Reading is at 508. If my math is correct that gives me about 1.0 k ohms. If that is correct is the new blower relay faulty? Do I need to do the second test?

Brad

Steve

The instructions said to

1 disconnect the 5p connector from the power transistor

2 Measure the resistance between the No 1 and No 4 terminals

Should the 5p connector then not be reattached? Otherwise there is no current at the transistor. I measured it at the 5p connector but then the power transistor is totally bipassed. So the resistance I tested was not even running through the power transistor.

Brad

Steve

I reread the instructions.MEASURE THE RESISTANCE BETWEEN NO 1 AND NO 4 OF THE POWER TRANSISTOR! The reading on the meter 1492 when the meter is set at 2000. I will run the second test later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thanks

Ran the second test.The blower motor did not run.This would indicate a faulty power transistor. Tried both the old and new power transistors. One question, I am assuming that the fan should be set at an intermediate setting when running this test or should the climate control system be shut off. You have earned your money.
It should not matter where the blower setting is on the second test.
When you had originally replaced the blower I hope you had it installed when you tried it.
If it is plugged in and not in the blower housing the heat could have burnt it out right away.

Steve

Yes the transistor was installed when I tested it. The fan did work on high. But on high the blower motor transistor is bypassed, from my understanding.Does this information make a difference to you? It does seem a little odd that the new transistor is faulty. You do seem to know your stuff. Anyways fire me back an answer and I will accept. Is there anyway I can send you a TIP for all your time?

It does not happen often that a new part from Honda would be faulty. You are correct that the transistor is bypassed when the blower is on high. I would hope we are correct that the control head is not faulty.
You can always leave a tip when accepting the answer.
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic

Steve

Put the second new blower power transistor in today. The air conditioning worked and so did the fan on all settings. When I looked at the first new transistor i bought, I am inclined to think that it was not new. It had only two cooling fans on it and was when I bought it, it was loose in the box. By loose I mean there was no packing material around the transistor in the box, so it would bounce around inside the box. The transistor I bought today had four cooling fins on it and was packed tightly in its box with brown packing paper.

Thanks again!

Brad

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Thanks for the update.