Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

1996 Honda Accord: the dash/ tail light relay..headliner..fuse blew…

Customer Question
Where is the dash/ tail...
Where is the dash/ tail light relay on a 1996 Honda Accord. I had a wire pinched that goes to the headliner which must be on the same circuit. The first time the 10amp fuse blew I replaced with the smallest I had 20amp. It happened again and apparantly with the larger fuse it caused the relay to stick or worse..please help what else could be wrong?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/25/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Matt Carey, Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Honda Technician

Hi this is MATT. Where is the wire that got pinched? What color is it? Also , which fuse blew? I can help, just give me some more info, and as much history to the problem as possible. thanks , MATT

Is it a sedan, coupe , or wagon?

It is a sadan.

There are 4 wires running up the passenger A-piller. One or more of them were pinched ( i did it when i recovered my headliner). I assume the overhead lights work off the same circuit as the dash lights, which of course work with the tail lights.

The 10amp fuse labeled small light is the one that blew. Like i said i slipped a 20amp in bc it was what i had...I know better and did it anyway. I wasnt thinking it was in anyway related to removing the headliner at the time.

So i got in the car to check everything out and THAT was when i got a slight sense of burning smell. I quickly pulled that fuse to investigate..and that was when i discovered it was coming from the corning of the headliner near the passenger a-piller. As a quick remedy i pulled the a-piller and cut all 4 of those wires ( red,white and 2 blk i think) so they could not short and I dont think i NEED my overhead lights until i figure this out.

SO, I put the 20amp fuse back in and noticed my side marker lights and tailights are not turning off. My assumption is, there must be a relay that I burned by using the larger fuse...your thoguhts?

Tell me this, with the wires cut, is the fuse installed and not blowing now? But as you said you have no tail lts. and markers. Is that correct? MATT

The fuse IS installed and not blowing..I am certain the short was in that wire harness going up the A-piller.

BUT the problem is the tail lights and dash lights are not turning off...they stay on with or without the switch turned on. that is why i think a relay must be stuck now.

any ideas?

Hey, sorry if you have been waiting for me. I am usually on line after 5pm during the week, weekends I can be on line more.

Back to the car. There is no relays that could be involved, I would check the Head light switch first. Power comes from the small light fuse to the head lt. sw. on a red/green wire, then with sw. on you should have power out of sw. on the red/black wire. Of course, sw. off should be no power on red/black. You might have fried the head light switch. Let me know. MATT here's a diagramgraphic

Matt Carey
Matt Carey, Honda Technician
Sorry I took so long to get you your $. I have been super busy at work. I ran a bypass switch across the fuse to get me by for the time being. Hopefully within the next week or so I can check that headlight switch.
No problem, just let me know, when your ready, or need anything, MATT