Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager Bridgeston/ Firestone complete Auto Care
9949505

How do you adjust the closing door (RH sliding door) 2000 Odyssey

How do you adjust the closing door (RH sliding door) 2000 Odyssey travel limit. Mine is too tight.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Good morning, thanks for visiting Just Answer,

Sliding Door Position Adjustment

NOTE: For EX models, be sure to disable the power sliding door by turning the main switch off.

1. Loosen the bolts (A) on the door's female stops (B) enough to move the stops.

1. Turn the door cushion (A) clockwise as far as it will go.

1. Mark the position of the center roller (A) with a permanent marker. This will help you gauge the amount of adjustment needed for the roller.

1. Close the sliding door fully, then inspect the gaps at the front and rear of the door. Also inspect the top to bottom position of the rear of the door, using the center body line as a reference. NOTE: For best junction switch contact, make the gap at the front of the door smaller than the rear gap. But don't make the front gap smaller than 4.5 mm (0.18 in.) or the rear gap larger then 8.5 mm (0.33 in.) .

1. Support the door with a floor jack (A) and a block of wood (B), then loosen the center roller bolts (C).
  2. To equalize the gaps between the door and the body, move the door forward or backward and up or down while keeping the center roller level. When you're finished with this adjustment, torque the center roller bolts.

1. Inspect the rear of the door for in or out overhang from the rear panel; it should overhang the panel about 0.5 mm (0.02 in.) . Also inspect the position of the striker in the latch opening while you close the door; it should be centered up and down.

1. Loosen the striker screws.
  2. Adjust the striker (A) in or out to make the rear of the door overhang the rear panel about 0.5 mm (0.02 in.) (but not more than 1 mm (0.04 in.) ). Then adjust the striker up or down to center it in the latch when the door closes. When you're finished with this adjustment, torque the striker screws to 18 N.m (1.8 kgf.m, 13 lbf.ft) . NOTE: Make sure the striker is level after your adjustments.

1. Close the sliding door, then check if it is flush with the front door.
    • If the sliding door is flush, go to step 12.
    • If the sliding door is not flush, go to step 11.

1. Loosen the upper roller bolts, then add or remove shims under the upper roller to make the sliding door flush with the body and the front door. Do not shim the door more than 3 mm . When you're finished with this adjustment, torque the upper roller bolts. NOTE: Adding or removing shims will change door flushness only at the upper front corner.
  2. Open the front door on the side you're working on.

1. Check the tightness of the sliding door by vigorously pulling in and out on the leading edge, about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom. The door should fit tightly against the seals. Also inspect the top to bottom position at the front of the sliding door, using the center body line as a reference to the front door.
    • If the door does not fit tightly, go to step 14.
    • If the door fits tightly, go to step 15.

1. Loosen the three bolts on the lower roller (A). Move the door up or down to align the body lines and to provide good junction switch contact. Loosen the lower roller bottom nut to adjust the door in or out until the door is held tightly against the seals. When you're finished with this adjustment, torque the three top bolts, and torque the bottom nut. NOTE: For best junction switch contact, make sure there is minimal in and out movement at the front of the door while keeping the door flush to the body.

1. Remove the weatherstrip (A) from the rear edge of the door opening.
  2. Turn on the power sliding door main switch.

1. Hold a piece of paper over the door cushion, then close the door with the paper trapped between the cushion and the door. Make sure not to pinch the weatherstrip.
  2. Pull out the paper.
    • If the paper is held tight, but you can pull it out without ripping it, go to step 19.
    • If the paper rips or is not held tight, adjust the door cushion until the paper is held tight but you can pull it out without ripping it. Then go to step 19.

1. Tighten the bolts on the female stops (A) to the point where the stops can move but will still hold their position.
  2. Close the sliding door, then open it.
  3. Carefully tighten the stop bolts, alternating between the top and the bottom bolt, until all four bolts are torqued. NOTE: The stop will pivot if you apply too much torque to one bolt while the other is loose.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What actually stops the door? Is it a limit switch?
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Is the door not working at all?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tim, The door is working, and I have just installed the new center roller assembly which makes the door very smooth. The only problem now is that the door still closes too tight I have adjusted the female stops all the way out. I have also made the adjustment to the center roller. Is there any other adjustment that you can make? The sliding door closes so tight that it makes the right forward door stick. Thanks, John
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
well I am not sure how much this info will help, but if it does not help let me know and I can ask another expert for assistance.
To rest or rehome the power sliding door, follow this procedure. 1. First pull the fuse (fuse #13 in the passenger side fuse box, the fuse box in the car on the passenger side) to clear the code and then manually open the power sliding door all the way. 2. Next, turn on the key and turn on the power door main switch and hold the closed button on the dash and see if the door will drive forward and close. The door now operates just fine. 3. Next, verify that the electrical contacts on the power door and body are not burned up. Also verify that the ground for the sliding door is good. In some cases, the grounds need to be removed, the paint scraped off and a star washer will need to be installed. The power sliding door needs to be reset. Refer to Honda TSB # XXXXX Always verify that the door will reset before doing major testing on the system.

click here
click here
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager Bridgeston/ Firestone complete Auto Care
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tim, Thanks for the reply. What is it that makes the door stop? What shuts down the door motor? Thanks, John
Expert:  Tim West replied 7 years ago.
Let me opt out so another expert can answer this question.
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 7 years ago.
Ok were the latches ever replaced?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No
Is the door almost closing then popping open?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, the problem is the door travels too far closed. It presses against the front door on the right side. I need it to stop before it goes this far. What tells the motor to shut down?
There is a limiter switch on the bottom of the door . Did you relearn the door after the repair?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No. It is adjustable I guess?
Let me see what I can post.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How can I adjust the limit switch?
Ok you will need to replace it no adjustment . Also will the door close manually?