Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2003 Odyssey EX: mileage..instrument panel..cluster..lamps…

Customer Question
WE have lost some lights...
WE have lost some lights behind the digital mileage display and which are located between the circuit board and guages on a 2003 Odyssey EX instrument panel. Question, once the cluster is out, how do you get to the lamps between the guage and circuit board?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/24/2010
Mechanic for Honda: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

Is it the backlight for the odometer or are you losing the odometer numerals?

Just the backlight for the odometer and the lamps which indicate the car is in Drive, Reverse, Park - two are burnt out there as well. I have the entire instrument cluster apart, but can't seem to get to any of those light bulbs.

Ok, the backlight for the odometer is simple. I have an illustration below to assist you. It simply twist out with 1/4 counter clockwise.

As for the gear position lights, its a little more complicated, but I have an illustration for that also. Please let me know if you need anything else.

graphicgraphic

Thank you - I actually own the tech service manual, so I am familiar. I still am not sure how to access those lights with the Drive, Park, etc. indicators. How do you get to those?
Have you removed the clear lens and the black plastic bezel that surrounds the gauges?
Yes - everything is removed until you basically have three components left - a white plastic housing, the circuit board, and the actual plastioc guages. There is a single white pressure clip in the center of the circuit board which I assume is part of the plastic housing. Once depressed, you can start to seperate the circuit boards from the housing, but the rest of the board does not want to come out. I assume it is because the guages are still connected on the front. But I cannot figure out how to get the guages off in order to access those lights.
The speedometer and tachometer have phillips screws on the circuit board side holding them in. Have you removed these?
I did not see those - when I get home I will pull it back off and check.
Ok, just yell if you need me. I will be online a little tonight, but back on tomorrow for sure.