Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2003 honda pilot: am replacing the ac compressor..much oil…

I have a 2003 honda...
I have a 2003 honda pilot and am replacing the AC compressor. How much compressor oil should i add to the system. Also, I am not sure how much oil is in the new compressor. It is a Valeo part number 10000664. Should i drain the oil from the new compressor and then add new oil in the correct amount? Please help.
6/24/2010
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -

The best bet is to remove the oil that is in the new compressor, and add fresh, new oil to the system.

Refrigerant Oil Capacity

Compressor 120 mL

What is the best way to remove the oil from the new compressor and the best way to add it? I have PAG46 oil in liquid form. Also, should I add more oil for the rest of the system? I understand the total system is approx. 8 oz, but how do I know what is left in the rest of the system prior to this repair?

Thanks

There really is no "best way" to remove the oil from the compressor, everyone has a different method. Just try to get as much out as you can, and then add 120mL. If you are just replacing the compressor, then the 120mL will be enough, as the rest of the system should still have it's correct oil level, and replacing the 120 for the compressor will even-up the system.

The PAG46 isn't really the best oil to use in this system, Honda recommends:

Use only DENSO ND-OIL 8 refrigerant oil

Thnks for you help,

I noticed a small screw plug on the back of both the old and new comressor that appears to be a drain. Also, I was using the PAG46 because that is what was noted on the new compressor label. Will it still work?

The only thing that concerns me, is that if the oil that is already in the system is Honda original, then mixing the 2 different oils may not be a good idea. PAG is usually "generic" and will work in any system, is just mixing them that worries me.

Last question. Where is the best place to add the oil, the compressor ports?

You can add the oil right into the side port (the new compressor should have come with a plastic cap covering this hole)

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Thanks for you help

Have a great day!

I replaced the compressor and the receiver/dryer dessicant and started it up. I pulled a vacuum for over 30 minutes and then let it sit for 45 minutes while i put on the serpentine belt. No leaks. Started it up and began to add refrigerant. The compressor kicked in at 20 lbs. Everything looked good. However after adding one 12 oz can of refrigerant, the pressure on both the low and high side were identical at approx. 80 lbs. After the second 12 oz can the pressure was at 110 lbs both side. Shut the system down and removed refrigerant to reduce pressue. What do you think is the problem?

More info. The compressor is not making noise at all. Also, before I put the compressor in I drained the oil into a clean glass container and measured 5 oz. I put the same oil and the same amount back in the ports prior to installation. I also added a 1.2 oz into the receiver dryer port where i placed the dessicant bag.

When both sides are abnormally high it usually means either the condensor is clogged or the condensor fan is not operating.

The pressure was at 120 lbs both sides when I stopped and removed refrigerant. I thought it might be the expansion valve. I did see small metal shavings in the dessicant bag when I changed it. Should I flush the condenser? How do I know the condenser is blocked?

The condensor will need to be removed and "flow" tested to see if it is clogged. Also, check the "fins" on it as well. If there are too many bent, broken, or rotted, this is inhibit flow as well, in which case it will need to be replaced.

graphic

I will try to flushing it. Thanks for you help