Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Car idles wierd and goes..Jumps between 100 rpms to about 1000 rpms.

Customer Question
Car idles wierd and goes...
Car idles wierd and goes up and down. Jumps between 100 rpms to about 1000 rpms.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/19/2010
Mechanic for Honda: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Hello and welcome to justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I can assist you with this.

Is the check engine light on?
No the engine check is not on. The car drives perfectly fine.
Ok, this is normally a dirty idle air control valve. Usually removing and cleaning it with some spray carb cleaner resolves the problem. This is bolted on the intake manifold, it has 2 water hoses and 1 wire connector.
Please let me know if you need anything.

Here's an image of the iac valve removed.

http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&source=mog&hl=en&gl=us&client=ms-android-verizon&q=integra%20gsr%20iacv#i=4

Edited by thebesthonda on 6/19/2010 at 2:53 AM EST
I will give it a try in the morning and let you know.
Sounds great.
Hey sorry for the long delay. Well Ive done a few things including cleaning idle air control. Cleaned out my throttle, checked timing which is about half a tooth off if any. Tightened the screw by the throttle cable. Checked all fuel injectors. The car stalls a litlle when I give it a quick pump on the gas. If I was to leave my foot on the gas, it dies. If I slowly give it gas it goes up just fine. Im about ready to give up.
The timing marks should be exact. Did this happen all of the sudden or after a repair?
This happen after the car died and I couln't start it for a while. It ended up the radiator went bad and I was driving it with out knowing it started to burn oil. The oil was pretty low when I finally figured it out. Changed out the radiator with a new one. I got it started and now I have this problem. So the timing should be right on? Should I just change out the timing belt while Im at it? The cars got 109k on it.
Yes, it should be changed at 105k, but I would do a cylinder leakdown and compression test on the engine before I spent money on the timing belt. Overheated Honda usually damage the rings and head.
I did a compression test on it when I got it running. If I remember right it was about 39 40 psi. Does that sound right. Or is that not where it should be.
It needs to be at least 120 psi on the compression and not below 80% on the leak down.