Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

element: my 05..making a grinding noise..sputter..lights come on…

Customer Question
ive just replaced the starter...
ive just replaced the starter on my 05 element and now it is making a grinding noise and tries to start, sometimes it does but it mostly sounds bad and will sputter a little and grind a little, once it starts there is no problem, it runs smoothly and no lights come on. could the remanufactured starter be bad or is there another problem. I've taken it off and put it back on, making sure all the connections are good and the starter is mounted properly but it does the same thing.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Steve, Honda Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Did the starter come from Honda or some where like Auto Zone?
autozone
I have never had any luck at all with starters or alternators from auto Zone. Thier prices are low with a lifetime warranty for a reason. They are poorly made.
A Honda remanufactered starter would have a 3 year/36000 mile but I have yet to get a bad one from honda.
If you pull the starter back out and look at the flywheel teeth, if they are not damaged you have a bad starter.
yeah I have had problems with alternators from autozone in the past. there arent any bad teeth on the flywheel I checked. how much are the starters from honda? for the 2005 element automatic.
It it is a Mitsuba starter it is around $510.00 because a remanufactured starter is not available.
A mitsubishi starter is:
1 06312-RAA-505RM MOTOR ASSY., STARTER (RMD) No Color 1 2005 ELEMENT 305.07
This one is a remanufactured price.
sweet, thanks man I'll let you know how it works out
Great, maybe Auto zone will refund your money and give back your old one for a core.
Ok so I repalced the starter with a new one, it starts but it still makes a little grinding noise sometimes before it starts, I noticed that when I replaced it there seemed to be a little play in the position of the starter as if i could change the mounting position by almost a milimeter is there any way to make sure that the alignment is proper, the instalation manual from honda doesn't give a whole lot of details on the subject or give the torque specs for the mounting bolts. Any help would be great!
the top bolt torque is 33 foot pounds and the bottom shorter bolt is 47 foot pounds.
I just snug up both bolts and then torque them to specs. I almost wonder if the other starter has damaged the flywheel teeth.
It must be a lot quieter than the other starter.
the fly wheel teeth look fine, but i know it might be hard to tell. there was no visible dammage/grindings or metal shavings on the starter I took out, could it just be that the bolts are not torqued to spec, I torqued them both to about 30 ftlbs
it might be slightly cocked because the lower bolt is not tight enough.
I know it is hard to get a good look at the teeth.
k man thanks I hope that's all it is, needing a new fly wheel would make me sick.
It would not be cheap either unfortunately.