Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Alternator belt..power steering..the lower pulley because the one…

Customer Question
I'm trying to replace my...
I'm trying to replace my Alternator belt and power steering belt. I'm unable to get the belts around the lower pulley because the one that the PS belt would end up being around is too close to the frame. Is this normal? Do I need to remove the pulley wheel?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/14/2010
Mechanic for Honda: johnny civic, Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
johnny civic
johnny civic, Honda Technician
you should not have to remove any pulleys. can you explain the problem to me a little better?

The alternator belt failed (shredded). I'm assuming as it did it dislodged the PS belt since the PS belt was free withing the engine compartment. In attempting to replace the belts with new ones, I noticed I was able to get either belts around the pulleys/wheels at the base of the engine since the clearance between the frame and the outside (not the grooved surface) of the outermost wheel (PS belt) was too narrow to squeeze through to feed it around the wheel.

it is tight, however there should be enough room to feed the belts past. If not, the reason the belt shredded may be because your crankshaft pulley has separated and needs to be replaced.

johnny civic
johnny civic, Honda Technician
Thanks for your help
please let me know if this helps.