Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Pilot: parking..headlights..ther drivers side fuse box

Customer Question
I have on 04 Pilot...
I have on 04 Pilot. I have been trying to re-wire so that I can use driving lights completely independent of the parking or headlights. An expert here said to clip a red/yellow wire from under ther driver's side fuse box. I did that and the driving lights were disconnected, fine so far. I was then supposed to tape off the red/yellow wire closest to the fusebox (done) and then tap the remaining red-yellow wire to a 12v switched circuit. When I did that, the headlights came on without the headlight switch being on. Is there another red/yellow wire I was supposed to cut? HELP.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
6/14/2010
Mechanic for Honda: thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician replied 8 years ago
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Hello, I was the original expert that helped you. When I get to the shop in the morning I will look this schematic up again and contact you. Just to be certain, you are trying to get the driving lights in the bumper wired independently...correct?
DUDE! So glad I got back to you! Yes, trying to get the stock driving lights below the front bumper to work without having to have park or headlights on.
Ok, kewl! I will give you a shout after I check out that schematic again to refresh my memory.
Good morning. Sorry for the delay. Swap the switched 12 volt wire to the other end of the red/yellow wire. I think I may have had you tape off the wrong one. This should work, but keep me posted. I will stick with you until its resolved.
OK, I will try that tonight after work. Thanks.
My pleasure.

Hey, attached the wire as you described and BINGO! Driving lights work without headlights or parking lights on.

BUT, here's the deal, I have installed aftermarket HID headlights. The low beam HID is very bright, sometimes too bright. The "high beam" is actually a halogen bulb that more dim than the low beam. In fact, it's too dim. I need the driving lights to work when the high beams are on. Any ideas on that one?

I really appreciate your help.

Phil

Awesome! I'm sorry, I know nothing about the aftermarket HID's other than I see a lot of problems with them. I have had 2 different Honda's in the shop with melted wiring harnesses due to aftermarket HID's.
So, no idea as to disconnecting the high beam cut off for the driving lights. This really has nothing to do with the HIDs. I want to be able to have the driving lights on with High Beam selected.

Oh, sorry, I mis understood your question. I thought you wanted me to troubleshoot the HID problem. My bad. Let me look at the schematic again.

Oh, sorry, I mis understood your question. I thought you wanted me to troubleshoot the HID problem. My bad.

Whew, that's a tough one. This schematic is confusing. I'm pretty sure you can snip the white/red wire at the #1 relay and ground it on the relay side of the wire.

graphic

Any luck?
Have not tried yet, too freaking busy. Will try over the weekend. I will advise after I dive under the dash and start snipping wires right and left.
Lol! I totally understand.