Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

civic: jump..timing..grn white ground seems good,.001

Customer Question
hi I have a 91...
hi I have a 91 1.5L civic htch and I jump the blue connector to go into timing mode and nothing happens. Tried another computer,brn wire has 2.4 votls from computer and at connector. grn white ground seems good,.001 volts, cont. good. can i have problem with ground or bad coolant sensor it it wired in this circuit. have my 5 volts at coolant sensor.When i have the coolant sensor plugged in grnd reads -20.7 mv then when sensor is disconnected grnd reads .001 volts , sensor ohms out at 245 Ohms.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/13/2010
Mechanic for Honda: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

What are you expecting to happen when you jumper the timing connector?

All this does is keep the computer from making any adjustments to the timing while you set the distributor to the base timing position.

Are you unable to set the timing with a timing light?

The red timing mark should be between the pionters when your timing light is triggered by cylinder #1

Let me know where the difficulty lies and I may be able to help you further

Thanks

I thought cars rpm should change when blue connector is jumped and engine light comes on to let u know your in timing mode. Hood says 18 deg. btdc + or- 2 degre. My mark is not red anymore ,I believe that is what your talking about. 16 degrees should be the middle notch of the three notches close together on balancer pulley. Your saying that nothing should happen when u jump it? At present marks are to far away from arrow on timing cover. T belt has been done and all marks line up. On other cars when jumping timing connector and on other honda's rpm changed and brought marks closer to the timing arrow.

There is a red and a white mark on the balancer, the red mark is to the left of the white mark if you are looking from the side with the bolt (only way you can look from the end.

The red mark is 18 degrees BTDC when it is between the timing pointers with the timing light on #1 cylinder. The RPM is supposed to be 750 at that point plus or minus 50 RPM.

How does it run?

Had timing change when jumper was jumped. You were saying that jumping this connector was to keep the computer from making any other adjustment. Computer did make adjustment everytime the fan came on and the blue connector was jumped. So again how do you no for sure it is in timing mode. Just want to get best milage and performance.
Going to try to adjust by ear

Runs fair wonder if my clutch needs to be adjusted better it is new. When i'am doing 50 or 60 car is at almost 3000 rpms. thought to be a little hi. This is why I was asking about timing. dont want to over tighten or under adjust ctutch. What is best method trying to feel it out. Why do these throw out bearing springs in tans always break. I know the heat but they need to make them better just had trans out and throw out bearing is rattling a little again.