Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

2003 honda pilot: a timing belt..spark plugs..dtc..same code

Customer Question
i just did a timing...
i just did a timing belt on a 2003 honda pilot. i did not change the CSK sensor, but did change the spark plugs. the dtc is p0336, and i changed the csk sensor and the same code came back on. what is it? also, when the code comes on and the engine gets near 3000 rpm, I get a VTR-4 indicator light on.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Honda
5/28/2010
Mechanic for Honda: MASTER TECH, Honda Technician replied 7 years ago
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician

hello welcome to the site

did you double check the cam timing ?

if the cam timing is off 1 tooth this code will set.

also make sure the connector does not have coolant in it if you did a water pump also.

the cam timing was not exactly on, but neither was it in hte beginning. I think it might be off but it still runs smooth up to 3000 rpm. will the cam tining still be off if it runs smooth to that point?

i have seen a lot of these with the cam timing off and run ok and would have a terrible idle.

would you like to have the timing marks to confirm the correct positions ?

this would be the first step i would recommend .

I'll check, but the idle is very smooth. Thats what lead me away from the timing issue. If off one tooth, wouldn't the idle be horrible?

well like i said these will do weird things.

i have had some idle poor like a slight miss and some will be running rich as the pcm tries to compensate for the cam timing been off.

dont use the rubber pluggs on the cover to look as these will show it off a tooth or more.

remove the upper timing covers and roll the motor over to TDC and make sure the cam is on # XXXXX

graphicgraphicgraphic

just checked, the timing marks are on. could there be a damaged stator?

well this is a possibility did you see any damage on the rotor edges ?

did you buy this from honda or a parts store ?

did you test this sensor ?

the sensor is a Honda sensor. I bought the timing belt aftermarket, clontech. got it from world pac

ok .

did you replace the water pump or just the belt ?

actually, you were right, the dealership said that the timing was right on, but we checked again and the front cam is one tooth off. Thanks bro, you gave great advice!!

your very welcome

please take a moment to leave me some feed back after you accept.

this feed back is just as valuable as the accept.

have a great holiday weekend.

if you need any more assistance please ask for me by name.

Master Tech

MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Technician