Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

How to change the starter on a 2005 honda element

Customer Question
how to change the starter on a 2005 honda element
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Honda
4/17/2010
Mechanic for Honda: 1smartcarguy, Honda Technician replied 7 years ago
1smartcarguy
1smartcarguy, Honda Technician

Hi, thank you for using justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will help assist you today.

Disconnect the battery, be sure to have the radio code to reactivate when your done.

The first thing to do is remove the intake manifold. You usually can leave some coolant hoses connected / throttle cable and just tilt the manifold out of the way to avoid having to bleed the coolant and reset the cable. Here is an exploded view of this. Its sounds harder than it is.

graphic

graphic

• Disconnect the Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor connector (A).
  • Remove the vacuum hose (B) and breather pipe (C), then remove the intake air duct
  • graphic

• Remove the intake manifold cover.
  •  

graphic

• Remove the throttle cable (A) and cruise control cable (B) by loosening the locknuts (C), then slipping the cable ends out of the accelerator linkage. Take care not to bend the cables when removing them. Always replace any kinked cable with a new one.
  •  

graphic

1. Remove the Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister hose (A) and brake booster vacuum hose (B).
    2. Remove the engine wire harness connectors and wire harness clamps from the intake manifold.
      • Idle Air Control (IAC) valve connector
      • Throttle position sensor connector
      • Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor connector
    • graphic
    1. Remove the bolt (A) securing the harness holder, and remove the two bolts (B) securing the throttle cable bracket.

graphic

• Remove and plug the water bypass hoses.
  •  

graphic

Remove the harness clamp (A), and the harness connector (B) from the intake manifold bracket, then remove the intake manifold bracket

graphic

Remove the intake manifold

graphic

1. Disconnect the starter cable (A) from the B terminal, then disconnect the BLK/WHT wire (B) from the S terminal.
    2. Remove the harness clamp (C).
    3. Remove the harness holder (D).
    4. Remove the two bolts holding the starter, then remove the starter.

Hope this helps

Accepts and feedback greatly appreciated

1smartcarguy
    1smartcarguy, Honda Technician
    1smartcarguy
    1smartcarguy
    1smartcarguy, Honda Technician