Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

2004 Honda Accord: disconnected..10mins and reconnected the battery…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Honda...
I have a 2004 Honda Accord when you put the key in the Ignition it will not turn I have checked the battery in the key I also disconnected the battery waited for about 10mins and reconnected the battery and still the key will not turn should I unplug the computer if so where is the computer located.
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Honda
3/4/2010
Mechanic for Honda: Rob Tech, Honda Master Technician replied 12 years ago
Rob Tech
Rob Tech, Honda Master Technician
Hi, I can help you with this. When you say the key will not turn, is it that you can not physically turn the key or will the key turn but the engine will not crank over?
key will not physically turn I have tried to turn the steering wheel as I turn the key but this did not help.
Okay, unplugging the computer will not help. It sounds like you either have a worn key or the tumblers in the ignition switch are worn. Let's start with checking the key. Try the key in the trunk or the driver door lock and see if it will turn the lock. If not you need to try another key or replace the key if you don't have another. If it works in the other locks try putting the key in and out of the ignition rapidly several times, then put it in and try turning it. Let me know what you find. If my information has been helpful please hit the accept icon, a deposit does not account as credit for an acceptable answer. Thank you.

I tryed the key in the doors and trunk worked ok put the key in the ignition several times but it still will not turn

Okay, you are unfortunately going to have to replace the ignition switch. Whether you do it or someone else make sure you replace the mechanical part and not the electrical part. Let me know if I can assist you further. If my information has been helpful please hit the accept icon, a deposit does not account as credit for an acceptable answer. Thank you.
Rob Tech
Rob Tech, Honda Master Technician