HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2006 honda odyssey - 3rd (upper rear) brake light turns on

Customer Question

2006 honda odyssey - 3rd (upper rear) brake light turns on when lights are turned on. Also back-up lights don't work when lights are turned on. When brakes are pressed (w/lights on) tail lights go out and 3rd brake light goes out (comes back on when brake pedal is released). Also - stereo console dash lights turn on when brake pedal is pressed (w/o car lights turned on).
Category: Honda
Expert:  HondaPlatinum replied 7 years ago.
OK was the car ever in an accident?Does the radio work?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Never in an accident. Radio/CD player works fine.

I also tried disconnecting brake switch (at brake pedal) and the 3rd (rear upper) brake like still turned on when lights were turned on (like a parking or tail light instead of a brake light)

Thanks,

OK there are a few different issues that can cause this.One very common issue is if you have small children is coins in the cd or dvd player for the audio unit.You can check this by removing the drivers side radio fuse and the passenger side back up fuses.Also if there is any aftermarket electronics in the car please let em know.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There are no small coins (no small children) - cd player works fine. There is no aftermarket anything on or in the vehicle.
Ok was there any work done to the vehicle recently under hood?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No.
Ok alot of times where the emergency brake is people accidentally hit the fuse box with there foot. If you check there while I post the schematic for that circuit.
Find anything at the fuse box.Trying to post the schematic now.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The fuse box is fine (no fuses blown,etc.)

OK this all sounds like a failing head light switch.Does the reverse lights work when the headlights are off?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes they do. But when the lights are off, the stereo console backlights turn on everytime I press on the brake or put the car in reverse.

Ok I need you to do me a favor and remove these fuses and tell me if the problem still occurs.Remove fuse 5 and 32 in the under dash drivers fuse box both 10 amp fuses and tell if the problem still happens.Then if there is still an issue remove the back up fuse in the passenger fuse box.Let me know the outcome.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

OK, thanks. I'll get back to you on this later (I'm currently at work and will need to do this at a later time), but I will get back to you once I've done it.

Ok Ill be here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Quick question on the fuses - do I put 5 & 32 back (if the problem still exists) before removing 32, or should all 3 be out at the same time?
Yes .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

So here's what I found out with pulling fuses:

removing fuses 5 & 32 didn't change anything (other than stereo wouldn't work).

removing the back-up fuse didn't change anything either.

Here's some further info (some may be the same as I mentioned before, but I noticed during this last trouble-shooting session.

-When car is in reverse, rear 3rd brake light comes on w/o lights on, gets brighter when lights are turned on - back-up lights do work w/lights turned OFF. Also - stereo console lights turn on (when lights are OFF).

-Something I just noticed, but may have been occuring all along - when tailgate is partially opened, the rear dome light (above the cargo dept) goes out when brake pedal is pressed (w/lights off) (rear 3rd brake light turns on, and rear dome light goes out). When lights are on, the 3rd brake light turns on (not new) and dome light turns off (doesn't work) with lights ON. This rear cargo dome light also goes out when put into reverse with lights off.

Thanks,

Ok let me ask you this.Do you have a trailer hitch installed on the van?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No hitch.
Ok then we need to focus on the wiring at the rear hatch.I would disconnect one connector at a time .Also was the transmission ever repalced.I would also open the hood and check for any signs of rodent damage chewing wires we see that alot.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Never had any mechanical work done to it. Did the fuse test rule out the faulty light switch?

I'll have to work on the disconnecting piece tonight and see what happens.

Thanks,

No it did not.It ruled out the radio circuit.It very well can be the electrical part of the ignition switch failing or there were some issues with the printed circuit boards shorting out behind the gage clusters.