Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Windshield wipers..my headlight switch or the harness..steering column

Customer Question
When I turn on my...
When I turn on my lights the windshield wipers turn on (when the wiper switch is off) and my left turn signal and left headlight do not work. It appears that I have a short in my headlight switch or the harness. I have two questions:
1) Do you think it's my turn signal/headlight switch?
2) How do I remove my turn signal/headlight switch assembly off my steering column?

I already have the encasement off the steering column, but I cannot seem to remove the switch assembly - thus far I have removed two screws and I thought it would slide out (away from the steering column).
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Honda
12/20/2009
Mechanic for Honda: John G., Honda Technician replied 7 years ago
John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Hello, I am not convinced that the switch is the problem. Sounds like there could be a ground issue. Has there any body work or other repairs done on the lf?
No. However, originally I was convinced that it was due to the aftermarket car alarm system that was installed before I purchased the car. This problem started suddenly last week. I have all my issues when the headlights are on. If the parking lights are on then no issues with the wipers or the turn signal. As soon as I turn the headlights on, then the wipers turn on and the left turn signal no longer works.

Ok, then it is a good chance it is the switch.

The switch will pull out the side once those 2 screws are removed and the wire connector is off.

I have tried, but it did not come out and I was afraid of breaking it. It appears that there are tabs on the top and bottom of the switch that keep it from sliding? It's just the two screws on the far right that I need to worry about?

It takes a little force but they never break.

CLICK HERE

John G.
John G., Honda Technician
John G.
John G.
John G., Honda Technician