Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

automatic gear shift lever hard to move from park to drive

Customer Question
on honda civic 1997...
automatic gear shift lever hard to move from park to drive on honda civic 1997
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
9/8/2009
Mechanic for Honda: HondaPlatinum, A Technician replied 8 years ago
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Ok was there any work done prior to this happening ?Have you spilt anything in the shifter?
there was NO prior work done, nothing was spilt on the shifter! This stickyness has been getting worse over time it feels like metal to metal contact without lubrication!
Ok the problem is the shifter cable itself is seizing where it connects to the transmission they rust up and start to seize this needs to be checked next

I am going to check the connection to the transmission, if that is the problem you will get

paid ASAP

Thank You

Customer/p>
No problem let me know sure it's binding or rusting

the proplem is NOT the cable.......I checked it out .......the only part where the shiftlever

is hard to move is at the very first part when the lever moves from "park to reverse"

after that the lever moves freely.

Could the problem be inside the transmission, when the parking lock is disengaged?

Did you remove the cable from the transmission and see if it shifted and did not get stuck ,also could be where the cable is attached to the shifter in the car, have you checked that doubtful it's internal
in the transmission

I have not removed the cable from the transmission yet,.....I say again:the shifter moves

freely over 90% of its range of travel,.....the only sticky point is in the first 10% of travel

-from PARK to REVERSE!!!!

Do you have a picture of the inside of the transm.that shows the transm. in the PARK

position? My E-mail is [email protected]XXXXX.XXX

Yes this all still leads to the shifter cable problem I'll see if I can post an exploded view of the cable
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician