Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

My 2002 V6 Honda accord has a check engine light and the TCS

Customer Question
light is comming on after...
My 2002 V6 Honda accord has a check engine light and the TCS light is comming on after driving the vehicle for a few minutes. The RPM seems to be limited at about 3500RPM as well. I washed my engine the other day and i fear i may have wet a sensor but i can't eliminate which one
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
9/6/2009
Mechanic for Honda: Steve, Honda Mechanic replied 8 years ago
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Without knowing what code is stored making the lights come on this will be hard to diagnoses. Start with checking the oil and if you have a discount auto parts store like Auto zone close by have them read the code for you. They will do it free.
Once we know the code it will be easier to help you out.
Certain failures do limit engine RPM and cause the TCS to disable.
ok, on the oil dipstick, what level should the oil be at... there are two pinholes on the rod but no actual grooved markings saying "add or full"
The oil should be between the 2 holes.
now i've got a check engine light thats flashing and the car is shuddering... feels like a misfire
yes if the light is flashing you have a missfire that could damage the catalytic converter.
Was the oil low?
the oil was just slightly low, but within the acceptable range still
Ok then the low oil didn't cause the check engine light to come on.
You might have a bad spark plug or coil causing the misfire.
You can try unplugging each coil one at a time to pin point which cylinder is misfiring.
When you find it, swap that coil with another cylinders and see if the mis fire changes to the other cylinder. If it does then you know that coil is bad.
like i said, i washed the engine yesterday and this problem started right after
You could have shorted out a coil with the water.
that was my initial guess, are there any other sensors that could cause this issue of the misfire and the TCS light being on? The RPM also cannot seem to exceed 3500 RPM in drive, and when it does the car shudders like a "rev limiter" has activated... then it shuts down a few minutes later
Yes there are but the easiest to check is the coils first.
i think something is wrong with more than one coil
Does it miss fire in more than one cylinder?
yeah... im just gonna take it to a local mechanic let em read the code and gimme a heads up as to what exactly is goin on.... there's so many sensors onboard that could also be causing this its not worth my time playing this guessing game any more... anways thanks for your help steve
No problem. Good luck with the repairs.
Steve
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic