Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

How do you replace the radiator in a Honda Passport?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/31/2009
Mechanic for Honda: hondavtec, Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
hondavtec
hondavtec, Honda Technician
hi thank you for visting just answer. what year is the passport

1999
ex or lx 2wd or 4wd
ex 2wd
make sure engine is cold.
  1. Loosen a drain plug (2) to drain EC.
  2. Disconnect oil cooler hose (1) on automatic transmission (A/T).

1. Disconnect radiator inlet hose and outlet hose from the engine

1. Remove fan guide (1), clips (3) on both sides and the bottom lock, then remove fan guide lower (3) with fan shroud (4).
  2. Disconnect the reserve tank hose (4) from radiator.

1. Remove bracket (5).
  2. Lift up and remove the radiator assembly with hose, taking care not to damage the radiator core with a fan blade.
  3. Remove rubber cushions on both sides at the bottom
  4. INSTALLATION
  5. Install rubber cushions on both sides of radiator bottom.
  6. Install radiator assembly with hose, taking care not to damage the radiator core with a fan blade.
  7. Install bracket (6) and support the radiator upper tank with the bracket (5) and secure the radiator.
  8. Connect reserve tank hose (4).
  9. Install lower fan guide (3).
  10. Connect radiator inlet hose and outlet hose to the engine.

1. Connect oil cooler hose (1) to automatic transmission.
  2. Connect battery ground cable.

1. Pour engine coolant up to filler neck of radiator, and up to MAX mark of reserve tank. Important operation (in case of 100% engine coolant change) procedure for filling with engine coolant.
    • Remove radiator cap.
    • Fill with engine coolant (EC) to the radiator filler neck.
    • Fill with EC to the "MAX" line on the reservoir.
    • Start the engine with the radiator cap removed and bring to operating temperature by running engine at 2,500 - 3,000 rpm for 30 minutes.
    • By EC temperature gauge reading make sure that the thermostat is open.
    • If air bubbles come up to the radiator filler neck, replenish with EC repeat until the EC level does not drop any further. Install the radiator cap and stop the engine.
    • Replenish EC to the "MAX" line on the reservoir and leave as it is until the engine gets cool.
    • After the engine gets cool, start the engine and make sure there is no water running noise heard from the heater core while the engine runs at 3,000 rpm.
    • Should water running noise be heard, repeat the same procedure from the beginning.
hondavtec
hondavtec
hondavtec, Honda Technician