Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

I have a rack and pinion leak on a 2005 honda odyssey with

Customer Question
43,000. The dealer I...
I have a rack and pinion leak on a 2005 honda odyssey with 43,000. The dealer I bought it from is telling me there is a slight dampness at the rack and pinion adjustment bolt. They say that is not a concern and replacing the bolt/plug may not make a difference. They also said the leak will never leak enough to drain the fluid and become a safty issue Another mechanic told me this is never a good sign and have them fix it. I have a 60 day warranty that covers the rack and pinion housing and all internal parts. I need some expert advice on what I should puch for in this matter.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
7/30/2009
Mechanic for Honda: HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician

HelloCustomerans welcome to justanswer.com,

The dealership is right in the fact that the wetness you see wont let all the fluid drain out. I see a lot of these models with the same issue.

But as long as you have an extended warranty that you are sure covers this part then why not have it replaced? I am sure you can take it to any repair shop that accepts the warranty and have it replaced minus your deductible.

What would cause this leak and what parts would need to be replaced. Would the color of the fluid uncover any other possible problems?

i wouldn't classify it as a leak, more like a very slight seep. IT's just a little damp. I really shouldn't be any concern and not work getting into repairing. The fluid will be a little dark, but old poer steering fluid tends to be on the dark side.
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791
HONDASERVICE7791, Honda Technician