John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Experience:  Dealership tech since 1982. ASE and Honda Master Technician.
13120563

2002 Honda: the dashboard Brake warning light..intermittently

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Honda Odyssey and the dashboard Brake warning light is flashing intermittently for very brief periods. What should I do? Any ideas as to the cause?
Category: Honda
Expert:  John G. replied 8 years ago.
Hello, there is a float switch built into the brake master cylinder. If the brake fluid is low this switch will cause the brake light to come on or flash on and off.
Check the brake fluid resevoir and see if the fluid is low.
If it is, its probably time for new brake pads.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Should have told you that I checked the fluid reservoir and it is full. It said todo that in the owners manual.
Expert:  John G. replied 8 years ago.
I found a service bulletin
The alternator could be causing this. The bulletin says that the door open indicators and the battery light come on as well. Have you seen that happen?
If not it could be the master cylinder cap is bad. If you unplug the 2 wire going to the cap and you no longer see the light, then you can just replace the cap.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No other lights.

Will try the cap idea. I d/c'd the wires. How much is a master cylinder cap? Do I have to get it at a dealer?

Expert:  John G. replied 8 years ago.
Its a dealer item, the aftermarket places will only carry the entire master cylinder.
Heres the part info.....
Fluid Level Sensor 46662S0X003 $25.23