thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  26 years experience
14931499

HAVE A 2008 HONDA CIVIC WITH ENGINE LIGHT ON AND CODES

Customer Question

HAVE A 2008 HONDA CIVIC WITH ENGINE LIGHT ON AND CODES ARE..PO498..PO135
Category: Honda
Expert:  thebesthonda replied 8 years ago.

Hello. Here are the trouble code definitions.

DTC P0498: EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve Circuit Low Voltage. Which is normally a EVAP canister vent shut valve.

DTC P0135: A/F Sensor (Sensor 1) Heater Circuit Malfunction, which is normally a defective primary a/f (air fuel or commonly called oxygen sensor) sensor.

I would first recommend clearing the codes and retry to see if the codes duplicate themselves. If they do, you will know there is a problem.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Chuck

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HELLO CHUCK..I DID ERASE THEM THEY CAME RIGHT BACK..

Ok, you definetly have a problem. I like to clear them (just to make sure there is no computer glitch) both sensors can be tested at Honda with an HDS scan tool, but most likely, the sensors are bad (replaced both of them several times) The only way to be certain is to test them of course.

If you have access to a volt meter, the a/f sensor can be tested with on of those. Let me know.

Chuck

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
HAVE A VOLT METER WHICH ONE IS THE A/F ?..YOU SAID HAVE CHANGED FEW..ON 2008 MODELS?

The a/f sensor is located in the exhaust pipe. The # 1 sensor is the first one from the engine. Yes, I have changed several. How many miles are on your Civic? This might be under warranty.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
THE A/F ON THE EXHUST MANIFOLD IS ALREADY CHANGED WITH A NEW ONE..THE CAR HAD ACCIDENT NO MWARRENTY FROM HONDA..
Salvage title? Some Honda dealers will warranty them anyway, have you asked them?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
they this dealer wont ..the car has 5000 miles on it..

Ahh! That's horrible. I think that is very unfair.

If the sensor has been changed, it could be a wiring problem. Is your Civic a dx,lx, ex, or si. Manual or automatic? I will start sending you the troubleshooting procedure. Was the sensor broke in the wreck? If so, check the No. 11 FI SUB (15 A) fuse in the under-hood fuse/relay box. Sometimes it will pop that fuse in a wreck.

Chuck

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well chuck..the # 11 fuse was not there so i put one in and cleared both codes ..thank u ..Customer
Awesome!!!!!! You are most welcome.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks..