Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

What do i need to tune up a 2002 accord?

what do i need to tune up a 2002 accord?
3/15/2009
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Which engine 2.3L 4cyl, or 3.0L 6cyl ?

2.3...also, where is the fuel filter located?

Ok, yours is a pretty standard one. Replace the distributor cap, dist. rotor, plugs wires and plugs. Also relace air filter if dirty. The fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank as a part of the fuel pump. It is only replaced if there is a fuel pump problem.

graphic

Distributor cap has 3 screws to remove, the rotor button has 1 screw to remove before pulling it off. Then pull plug wires, and use extension with spark plug socket and ratchet to remove plugs

graphic

Firing order to make sure you put wires back in correct order:

graphic

Air filter:

graphic

thanks a lot, i heard something about the throttle body plate being cleaned...? is this neccassary? it has 100,000 mi on it...and how would i go about it...i assume its on the top of the engine...but where?

With 100k on it, it would be a good idea. If oyu look at the last diagram for the air filter, on the opposite end from air filter the intake tube is round- that connects to throttle body- it should have a band clamp that holds it to throttle body, remove it. Use carb cleaner and a toothbrush to clean inside throttle body opening to get rid of carbon deposits.

graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
thanks again, i'll get started on it right now..! have a great day Eric...
steve

Have a great day as well

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager