Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

The SRS light is on in my 2002 Honda Civic. What might be

The SRS light is on...
The SRS light is on in my 2002 Honda Civic. What might be the cause?
2/26/2009
Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
HelloCustomer ths most common reasno for this light to come on is a problem with the occupant detection sensor. There was a recall placed on this. The recall covers the sensor for 10 years/157,500 miles. If you fall wihtin this I would contact your local dealer to see if you are covered under this.
Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor

Thanks for your (fast) reply. Do you have any information about the recall? Do you know where I can find documentation? How can I negotiate with a dealer if he tries to charge me for the fix?

Under what circumstances would I NOT be covered? I have 74,000 miles on a 2002 model, so I'm covered under the 10 year/157,500 miles clause.

Yes you are covered under the warranty if this is the problem if the dealer finds that your VIN number is XXXXX in the recall. There is a chance it may be something else but this is the most common issue. The recall is shown below.

06-009

February 5, 2008

Applies To: XXXXX

Warranty Extension: OPDS Unit or OPDS Sensor Triggers SRS DTC(s) 15-1, 15-2, 15-3

(Supersedes 06-009, dated September 21, 2007)

Updated information is shown with asterisks.

BACKGROUND

*NOTE: Because of a class action settlement, the warranty extension coverage for the OPDS unit and the OPDS sensor on 2002 Accords, 2002-04 Civics, 2003-04 Civic Hybrids, 2002-04 CR-Vs, 2003 Elements, 2002 Odysseys, and 2003-04 Pilots purchased or leased between April 13, 2002, and November 7, 2006, is now 10 years or 157,500 miles, whichever occurs first. For more information, refer to Service Bulletin 06-085, Warranty Extension: Vehicle Warranty Mileage.*

Several vehicle models may have a problem with the OPDS (occupant position detection system) that causes the SRS indicator to stay on. Typically, one or more of these DTCs will be set:

^ SRS DTC 15-1 (faulty OPDS unit or OPDS not initialized)
^ SRS DTC 15-2 (faulty side airbag indicator circuit)
^ SRS DTC 15-3 (faulty OPDS sensor)

To ensure continued reliability with the OPDS, American Honda is extending the warranty on the OPDS unit and the OPDS sensor to 10 years or 150,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

This warranty extension does not apply to any vehicle that has ever been declared a total loss, or any that has been issued a salvage, branded, or similar title under any state's law. To check for vehicle eligibility, you must do a VIN status inquiry

Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor
Fixitman
Fixitman
Fixitman, Technician /Advisor