Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

frame of a 91 Honda Accord run under the car and down the midline?

Customer Question
Does the frame of a...
Does the frame of a 91 Honda Accord run under the car and down the midline?
Submitted: 13 years ago.Category: Honda
2/19/2009
Mechanic for Honda: 02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician replied 13 years ago
02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician

Welcome to Just Answer!

Technically the car does not have a frame like a truck or older domestic cars. The car has a unit body construction. There are sub frames located in the front & rear of the car that the suspension, steering, & engine mount too. Now there is something that looks like a frame rail underneath the car but it is closer to the outside body of the car, but it is not really a frame, still part of the uni-body. The middle of the car houses the exhaust.

Is there something in particular you are looking for?

Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

Another car ran into the passenger side of our car and bent plastic in the lower portion of the door frame. We were wondering if the "frame was bent" and the car should be junked.

OK,

I am not an auto body repairman by trade. It sounds like the actual body of the car is bent. If the car is drivable, you may want to try to take to a body shop to get an estimate. From what it sounds like, it is pretty bad damage & a lot of work to repair. Most likely with the age of the car, the body shop will have to locate a side portion of the car like yours intact & then cut out the damaged area of your car & then install the new piece, very similar to a plastic model car, except using steel metal. A good possilbilty the body shop may call it a total & tell you not to waste your time. If the car is not drivable I would most likely say it is going to be totaled, even if you have insurance, they will probably want to total the car, instead of repairing, unless you really like the car. At that point they may place a salvage title on the car, but you could get it repaired. Not sure the rules in the state you live in as to how they determine that. Again, I am not an auto body repairman by trade & would advise to seek an auto body shop for proper estimate if car is drivable. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician