Honda

Have Honda questions? Ask a Honda repair expert.

Destributor cap loud

destributor cap loud
2/19/2009
Mechanic for Honda: 02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician replied 13 years ago
02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician

Welcome to Just Answer!

What year & model Honda do you have?

How many miles are on the vehicle?

Can better describe the noise you are hearing from the distributor.

Is the vehicle running or not running when you hear the noise?

Anything you can add to further assist your trouble?

Please let me know, so I can further assist you. Thank you.

Wes

hey wes!
1990 honda civic wagon
200,00 miles
engine light comes on. the noise is a metallic grinding sound
the car is running. has been making noise since december
brought car to mechanic, he had a death i family. got car back on sat. 3 weeks after i left it.
$490.00 for water pump, timing,etc.
driving home, light came on.
how could mechanic not hear LOUD "metallic" sounding constant noise from distributor?
thahk you was.
tommy

Tommy,

I thought you were might say that about a metallic noise coming from the distributor from an older Honda. The distributor assembly itself is failing, most likely the bearing failing. With the failure of most likely the bearing, there is a TDC/CRANK/CYL sensor within the distributor that is setting the check engine light with a code for it, if you were to check the trouble codes stored in the ECU. See below. You can take a very long screwdriver & place the metal tip on the distributor near where it goes into the cylinder head & listen for the noise, place the handle in your ear. The only way to solve this problem is to purchase a new distributor. I would recommend a new assembly from the Honda dealer. Many after market units being sold are re manufactured units, some truly are brand new, but use inferior parts, so the possilbilty of premature failure is high. This problem is very common in the older Civic's with an occasional Accord having the same issue. I owned several Civic's 90-91, & had to replace a distributor on one of them that finally failed. I thought I could purchase a new bearing & install it, but no. Some people might be able to get it to work, but if you own a machine shop with special tools. The success rate of it working for some time after replacement isn't that great, so best I have found to replace the assembly as a whole. Here is an on line price for the distributor:

graphic

844730011DISTRIBUTOR ASSY. (TD-18U) (TEC) 705.23493.66

844770041HOUSING, DISTRIBUTOR 379.07265.35

This is for 1.6 Liter 4WD wagon.

You can either purchase everything as part # XXXXX or just the distributor housing, part # XXXXX

844720011DISTRIBUTOR ASSY. (TD-01U) (TEC) 705.23493.66

844760041HOUSING, DISTRIBUTOR 379.07265.35

This is for a DX wagon.

I hope the other items (ex. timing belt, water pump, etc.) were not replaced thinking that was the noise problem. They probably did need to be replaced anyways I hope.

graphic

1988-95 VEHICLES

See Figures 3, 4, 5 and 6

The quick reference troubleshooting charts (located at the front of the diagnosis part of the section) covers the most common failure modes for the PGM-FI. The probable causes are listed in order of most-easily-checked first, then progressing to more difficult fixes. Run through all the causes listed. If problem is still unsolved, go on to the more detailed troubleshooting. Troubleshooting is divided into different LED displays. Find the correct light display and begin again.

For all the conditions listed, the PGM-FI warning light on the dashboard must be on (comes on and stays on). This indicates a problem in the electrical portion of the fuel injection system. At that time, check the LED display (self-diagnosis system) in the ECU/ECM.

There is only one LED display. The LED will blink consecutively to indicate the trouble code. The ECU/ECM is located beneath the access panel, under the carpet on the passengers side of the vehicle.

Sometimes the dash warning light and/or ECU/ECM LED will come on, indicating a system problem, when, in fact, there is only a bad or intermittent electrical connection. To troubleshoot a bad connection, note the ECU/ECM LED pattern that is lit, refer to the diagnosis chart and check the connectors associated with the items mentioned in the "Possible Cause" column for that LED pattern (disconnect, clean or repair if necessary and reconnect those connections). Then, reset the ECU/ECM memory as described, restart the car and drive it for a few minutes and then recheck the car and drive it for a few minutes and then recheck the LED. If the same pattern lights up, begin system troubleshooting; if it does not light up, the problem was only a bad connection.

The memory for the PGM-FI warning light on the dashboard will be erased when the ignition switch is turned OFF; however, the memory for the LED display will not be canceled. Thus, the warning light will not come on when the ignition switch is again turned ON unless the trouble is once more detected. Troubleshooting should be done according to the LED display even if the warning light is OFF.

If the LED blinks codes that don't exist, clear the ECU, road test the vehicle and check them again. If the same codes repeat, replace the ECU.

graphic

This is for the 1.5 Liter engine.

graphic

This is for the 1.6 Liter engine.

CLEARING TROUBLE CODES

The memory for the PGM-FI warning light on the dashboard may be erased when the ignition switch is turned OFF; however, the memory for the LED display will not be canceled. Thus, the warning light may not come ON when the ignition switch is again turned ON unless the trouble is once more detected. Troubleshooting should be done according to the LED display even if the warning light is OFF.

To clear the ECU/ECM trouble code memory remove the ECU/ECM memory power fuse for at least 10 seconds. The correct fuse to remove is the No. 10 fuse for 1984-87 models, the HAZARD fuse at the main fuse box for the 1988-91 models, and the BACK UP fuse (7.5 A) in the under-hood fuse/relay box.

Some vehicle computers have a learning ability. If a change is noted in vehicle performance after clearing codes, it may be due to the computer's learning ability. To restore performance, warm vehicle to normal operating temperature and drive at part throttle with moderate acceleration, before performing any additional diagnosis.

You can verify the code(s) to determine if it is related to the distributor. It would be either a code 4, 8, or 9 code. Either way you will need to replace the distributor housing to repair the problem. Another possibility could be the timing belt may not have enough tension it. Any other questions, please let me know. thank you.

Wes

If this has helped, please press ACCEPT.

02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician
hey wes!
i'm not a mechanic...i'm a musician, but i have a buddy that works on cars 3 blocks away..(in brooklyn, n.y.!).....and this is terrific!
man oh man, thank you very , very much for this information!
if i took a week or two to learn just the few things you illistrate here, i might be able to do it, maybe not right, but get it installed correctly.
have a nice weekend, wes, and thanks again very much.
yours truly,
tommy
wes,
get ready......
last week, a guy did the water pump, timing, and radiator. $490.00. driving back, the check engine thing happened. my guy looks at the distributor..(loud, metallic)..remember? i bought the distributor yesterday. i bring it over about an hour ago...AND NO CHECH ENGINE, NO NOISE..NOTHING! the car was running as well as it has for the last 15 years!
what the heck? i know that the noise will start again, right? but, darn, if i didn,t run it with my buddy in it for 20 minutes, went for a 20 minute ride in brooklyn traffic, and then sat again, running for a few minutes. shut it off, waited 15 minutes, and drove home.
what do you think?
hi was, how are you doing?
i don't know axactly how this site works..like accepting info and making sure the person who helped gets compensated, but..hopefully you can tell me if i did it right.
now, driving my honda 1990 civic, the distributor started making the same noise as before. can you tell me where to look for the errors blinking lights? (under seat etc.).is t under a seat or where?
thanks again, wes.
tommy

Tommy,

Yes the accept went through & thank you. Now there is a possibility that the timing belt may not have enough tension on it & could be the cause of the noise problem. If the belt slops around so to say, it would create uneven tension on anything it touches, which could cause the engine & components not to work properly. You may want to have whoever installed the timing belt & water pump recheck that as well as make sure that everything was installed correctly, including a key & washers were installed correctly.

Did you purchase a new, used, or re manufactured distributor?

By chance do you know if you have the 1.5 Liter or 1.6 Liter engine?

Now to check for the blinking LED's, you will need to pull up the carpet on the passenger side front seat area. There you will find a cover plate with the ECU underneath it. Near the top, center of the cover plate you will see a hole. There is where you will find the LED to view to retrieve the blinks & match it up with the troubleshooting charts I previously sent to you. You do not have to press ACCEPT again, unless you want to, I will work with you till we get the noise thing to go away. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

thank you, wes.
i'll let you know how it goes.
yours truly,
tommy

Tommy,

Please do get back with me & let me know what you find. Thank you.

Wes