Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

Oil is pouring out from under my car and it isnt the oil pan.

Customer Question
Oil is pouring out from...
Oil is pouring out from under my car and it isn't the oil pan. How do you change an oil pump in a 1995 accord lx 2.2lt. 4 cylanders F22B2?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Honda
1/26/2009
Mechanic for Honda: John G., Honda Technician replied 8 years ago
John G.
John G., Honda Technician
The most common cause of massive oil leaks on this car is a failure of the front balancer shaft seal. You will need to replaced the timing belts and the seals under the timing cover
I need instructions on how to do this. Can you please email them to me?

Ok, I will. Have you done a timing belt before?

This engine also has an extra belt for the balancer shafts.

No, I haven't. Can you tell me how to do that also?

NOTE:
  • Turn the crankshaft pulley so the No. 1 piston is at top dead center (TDC) before removing the belt.
  • Inspect the water pump.
  • The original radio has a coded theft protection circuit. Be sure to get the customer's code number before
  • disconnecting the battery.
  • removing the No. 39 (7.5 A) fuse from the under- hood fuse/relay box.
  • removing the radio. After service, reconnect power to the radio and turn it on.

When the word "CODE" is displayed, enter the customer's 5-digit code to restore radio operation.

1. Disconnect the battery negative terminal first, then the positive terminal.
  2. Remove the wheelwell splash shield.

1. Loosen the adjusting bolt and mounting nuts, then remove the power steering (P/S) pump belt.

1. Loosen the adjusting bolt, mounting bolt and locknut, then remove the alternator belt.

1. Remove the alternator terminal and connector.
  2. Remove the side engine mount. NOTE:
    • Use the jack to support the engine before the side engine mount is removed.
    • Make sure to place a cushion between the oil pan and the jack.

1. Remove the dipstick and the pipe.
  2. Remove the cylinder head cover.
  3. Remove the pulley bolt and crankshaft pulley.

1. Remove the rubber seal from the adjusting nut, then remove the upper and lower covers. NOTE: Do not use the upper and lower covers for storing disassembled items.

1. Loosen the adjusting nut 213 1 turn. Push the tensioner to remove tension from the timing belt and timing balancer belt, then retighten the adjusting nut.

NOTE: When removing the timing balancer belt only:
  • Lock the timing belt adjuster arm in place by installing one of the 6 x 1.0 mm bolts.
  • Loosen the adjusting nut 2/3 - 1 turn. Push the tensioner to remove tension from the timing balancer belt, then retighten the adjusting nut.
  1. Remove the timing balancer belt and timing belt.

graphic

1. Set the timing belt drive pulley so that the No. 1 piston is at top dead center (TDC). Align the dimple on the tooth of the timing belt drive pulley with the V pointer on the oil pump.

1. Set the camshaft pulley so that the No. 1 piston is at TDC. Align the TDC mark on the camshaft pulley with the cylinder head upper surface.

1. Install the timing belt tightly in the sequence shown. (1)Timing belt drive pulley (crankshaft) -> (2) Adjusting pulley -> (3) Water pump pulley -> (4) Camshaft pulley. NOTE: Make sure the timing belt drive pulley and camshaft pulley are at TDC.
  2. Loosen and retighten the adjusting nut to tension the timing belt.
  3. Install the timing balancer belt drive pulley and lower cover.
  4. Install the crankshaft pulley, then tighten the pulley bolt.
  5. Rotate the crankshaft pulley about 5 or 6 turns counterclockwise so that the timing belt positions on the pulleys.
  6. Adjust the timing belt tension.
  7. Make sure the crankshaft pulley and camshaft pulley are at TDC.
  8. If the camshaft or crankshaft pulley is not positioned at TDC, remove the timing belt and adjust the positioning, then reinstall the timing belt.
  9. Remove the crankshaft pulley and lower cover.
  10. Set the timing belt drive pulley so that the No.1 piston at TDC.
  11. Lock the timing belt adjuster arm in place by installing one of the 6 x 1.0 mm bolts.
  12. Loosen the adjusting nut 2/3 - 1 turn, and verify that the timing balancer belt adjuster moves freely.
  13. Push the tensioner to remove tension from the timing balancer belt, then retighten the adjusting nut.

1. Align the rear balancer shaft pulley by using a 6 x 100 mm bolt or equivalent as a tool. Scribe a line 74 mm (2.9 in) from the end of the bolt. Insert the bolt into the maintenance hole to the scribed line.

1. Align the groove on the front balancer shaft pulley with the pointer on the oil pump housing as shown.
  2. Install the timing balancer belt. Loosen the adjusting nut 2/3 - 1 turn to tension the timing balancer belt.
  3. Remove the 6 x 100 mm bolt from the rear balancer shaft, then install the 12 mm sealing bolt.
  5. Turn the crankshaft pulley about one turn counterclockwise, then tighten the adjusting nut.
  6. Remove the 6 x 1.0 mm bolt from the timing belt adjuster arm.
  7. Remove the crankshaft pulley, then install the lower cover.
  8. Install the rubber seal around the adjusting nut. NOTE: Do not loosen the adjusting nut.
  9. Install the crankshaft pulley, then tighten the pulley bolt.
  10. After installation, adjust the tension of each belt.
  11. graphic
  12. graphic
  13. graphic
  14. graphic
Is this all the instructions including changing the oil pump?

Do you mean water pump?

Once its all apart the water pump is jut 4 bolts and its off

If it is the water pump, why is oil leaking out as fast as I put it in?

The front balancer shaft seal has popped out. look at the image of the front shaft. You take that pulley off and remove the old seal. Then install a new one.

Most people replace the water pump as long as the timing belts are off, but if ours isnt that old you can leave it alone

So if I do all of this, will the oil stop coming out.?

When you remove the timing cover you will see that the seals for the front balancer is no longer in the block, it has popped out and is spinning around with the front balacer shaft.

There is a huge opening where the seal should be and oil comes out rapidly.

The timing belt should be replaced because the oil will cause it to break before it should

John G.
John G., Honda Technician
Okay, I will do what you say. Thanks, I'll let you know if it works.

Ok, you're welcome

John G.
John G.
John G., Honda Technician