Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

After my 2004 Honda CRV had to be jump-started, the radio wouldnt

After my 2004 Honda CRV...
After my 2004 Honda CRV had to be jump-started, the radio wouldn't come on and showed an error code 2. How do I reset it?
1/22/2009
thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician

Hello! Look for your radio code I.D. card. Looks like a drivers license sized card with the radio code on it. If you can't find it either in your glove box or written in your owners manual, look for a white sticker inside your glove box. It will have the code on it.

Remove your negative battery cable for 10 seconds to reset the radio, then enter this code. If you can not find your code in your vehicle, remove the radio and send me the serial number and I will send your code to you. Thanks!

thebesthonda
thebesthonda, ASE MasterTechnician
Hello. I was just contacted by another expert ( acruramstr ) that told me if you could not find your code, rather than remove your radio, you could press and hold the 1 and 6 preset buttons at the same time and your serial number will show on the screen. Send me those numbers and i will get your code for you, but hopefully you will find them inside the vehicle. Thanks!
Hello. I was just contacted by another expert ( acuramstr ) that told me if you could not find your code, rather than remove your radio, you could press and hold the 1 and 6 preset buttons at the same time and your serial number will show on the screen. Send me those numbers and i will get your code for you, but hopefully you will find them inside the vehicle. Thanks!

Unfortunately, though we bought the car used and certified from a Honda dealer, it came with no manual, nor is there a sticker in the glove compartment. I tried pressing the 1 and 6 preset buttons, and got "COdE E", but nothing else.

I don't know how to pull out the radio. Does it just take a screw driver to wedge it a little and then pull?

John G.
John G., Honda Technician

Hi, NO dont pry the radio.

I can help you since chuck is off. You dont need to pay more

The radio has been locked because the wrong code ahs been entered too many times

disconnect your battery for 2 minutes and reconnect it.

Then do the 1-6 thing.

to get the serial number

THANK YOU! Does disconnecting the battery mean just the negative cable or both?

just neg

I thought I could see how to disconnect the battery by looking at it, but don't...just unscrew it?
There is a nut, 10mm you need a wrench or plyers to turn the nut, then just pull off the cable
Sorry to report, after 30 minutes of finding the right tools to disconnect, we finally got it and tried twice....but when pressing the 1 and 6 at the same time, all we got was the radio saying code 1 or code 6, etc....no serial number....help!
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic
Looks like the other experts are off line. Let me try to help,follow this if you can to get the number.

graphicMake sure you are still holding the 1 and 6 when you turn it on.
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic

Hello. I was gone for the night. Just wanted to follow up and make sure these other guys got you taken care of?

Also, thanks to John and Steve for picking this up.

Chuck

Hi Chuck. Yes, they helped me get the serial number for the radio, which took was an adventure. Finally, I got the radio to display the numbers U2702 and L902, so from what I read above it must be 27020902. It was getting late so, we had to give up for the night. I know we need these numbers to move forward. What is the next step?

My daughter has the car at school right now, so I won't be able to work with it more until early evening.

Sorry I bailed , had to go to bed

No problem, I did too!
acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech

chusk is offline right now so he asked me to send this to you your code is 53144 emter it using the radio preset buttons .

Thanks! I'll try later this afternoon when the car is back, and I'll then get back to Chuck, or you or whoever on the success status.
good luck
Thanks guys! I was out to lunch.Customer let us know if you need anything else. John, Steve, acuramstr, or I will be glad to assist.

Well, friends, I didn't get it to work. We started over by disconnecting the battery for two minutes, then turned the car on, turned the radio on, entered the code "53144", but just got the err message. Is there anything else we should be doing?

Thanks!

I re checked the serial number just now to verify the code and it is correct just a acuramstr stated. When you dis connect the battery for 2 minutes, then reconnect it, and turn the radio on, the radio does have the word "code" on the screen, correct?
Yes, the word "code" does appear.

That meens the radio is ready to accept the code and should start working when the code is entered...weird.

Can you press the 1 and 6 buttons again to be sure the numbers 27020902 are accurate?

I contacted acuramstr again for his support also. Let's double check the serial number and take it from there.

Actually, it shows up as U2702, L902. I just figured that the 902 was actually supposed to have the 0 in front of it, since it was supposed to be an 8-digit code.
I am corresponding with acuramstr. We will get this figured out.

Hello. I was just contacted by acuramstr. Remove the battery cable again to clear everything before entering the code. This was his response below. Let me know what happens. Thanks. Chuck.

From acuramstr:

"ok lets try this I put the 0 at the end and got 13255 if that wont work have him call acura 1-800-382-2238"

Or you may have to pull the radio out and get the serial number the old fashioned way.

Here are the instructions sent by acuramstr.

click here and here

Hi Chuck, and other advisors - Regarding the question above, I've tried the two possible codes and neither one worked. Taking the entire audio unit out sounds like more than I am up for, especially since I have no idea what the "anti-theft" code would be. In any case, I called the dealership to find out if they had the code and was advised that they would remove the radio and get the code for me on a "one time for free" basis.

Thanks for trying to help! You've been so patient and definitely gone above and beyond. I will use your service again!

That is very nice of your dealership. I am glad to see they are taking care of you. I appreciate your kind words and I want to thank you for your your patience also. Speaking on behalf of all the experts involved, we were glad to be of assistance to you. If I can ever assist you with anything else, I will be more than happy to.

Chuck

Steve
Steve
Steve, Honda Mechanic