Tech413
Tech413, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years auto, 19 years at the same Honda dealer. Ca Smog since 1986. Honda Gold Level, ASE master
13123924

Multiple misfires with ODBII code 1399. What to check?

Customer Question

Category: Honda
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.

What is the year and model?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm sorry , Its a 2002 accord 3.0 V6
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
Does the engine run rough? who pulled the codes?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Again I'm sorry I didn't believe I would receive any help I will be happy to pay the $15.00 for your help. I pulled the codes and got multiple misfires on all clys including the 1399 code and yes the engine runs rough. I went by today to have a look at the car, not sure how to test fuel pressure on this car but I removed the vacumn hose from the fuel pressure regulator and noticed no diffence in the roughness on the engine. I took out a couple of the plugs and they look fine,dry with a light carbon white-yellow) coating. Again I'm sorry who have had to email more than once.

Tom
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
Hey Tom we can do this as often as necessary. I will ask that you make a deposit, if you have not allready. Your deposit is fully refundable until you hit "Accept". So do not hit the accept button until you are satisfied. The 1399 code comes up with multiple misfires and does not need to be diagnosed. What we need to do is find the reason for the misfires. How many miles do you have and when did the problem start?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hello again,
              The car has 130,000 and I am to understand the problem came about suddenly. How do I make the deposit?

Tom
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
I am not sure nobodys asked before.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have made the deposit.
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
Ok we need to narrow down to what cylinders are misfiring. With the engine at idle unplug the ignition coils one at a time. Look to see how the idle is affected. Plug the coil back in and move to the next cylinder. We are looking for the cylinders that have no affect on idle.
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
I am going to be in and out all day, so there will be a delay in response times. Sorry about that normally my response would be almost instantaneous. My name is XXXXX XXXXX the way.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob, its nice to meet you. The car is at my shop and I'm here. I'm going to get my son to pull the coil connections but, don't know how soon he will be able to, it shouldn't take too long. Thanks again for the help.

Tom
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
Take as much time as you need. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob, I finally got to check the coils on the 2002 accord. After disconnecting the coil leads #2 cylinder had no change after disconnecting it, I changed coils with another clyinder but, #2 is still the clyinder that has no change after disconnecting it. I won't be able to until the weekend but, I plan to do a compression test on #2. Any suggestions?
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
Listen to the injector using a screwdriver as a stethoscope. Place the tip of the screwdriver at the base of the injector and the handle to your ear. Compare the sound to a good cylinder.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I didn't think of that, will do this evening. Thanks.
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Rob, I went to the shop today to look at the car myself and much to my suprise the #2 fuel injector lead had somehow got cut in two I repaired the lead and the car runs fine. Thanks for your help, I have clicked accept to pay you for your time please let me know if it doesen't go through. Thanks again.

Tom
Expert:  Tech413 replied 8 years ago.
Thank you