Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

how to replace a 1985 honda accord water pump

Customer Question
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Honda
12/12/2008
Mechanic for Honda: 02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician replied 9 years ago
02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician

Welcome to Just Answer!

Here:

1984-89 Accord

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Place a clean drain pan under the radiator and drain the cooling system.
  3. Break loose (do not remove) the water pump pulley bolts.
  4. Loosen and remove the water pump drive belt.
  5. Remove the pulley bolts and remove the pulley.
  6. Remove the water pump retaining bolts and the O-ring. Discard the O-ring.
  7. Clean the mounting surfaces.

To install:

1. Use a new O-ring and install the pump to the block. Make certain the O-ring does not deform or move.
  2. Install the retaining bolts, tightening them to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
  3. Install the pulley and pulley bolts; tighten the pulley bolts to 9 ft. lbs. (12 Nm).
  4. Install the belt and adjust it to the proper tension; do not over tighten the belt.
  5. Refill the engine coolant.
  6. Start the engine and check for leaks.

Not really to bad versus most of the newer models that are driven by the timing belt. Any other questions, please let me know. Thank you.

Wes

If this has helped, please press ACCEPT.

02hondafreak
02hondafreak
02hondafreak, Honda/Acura Technician