lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  13yrs honda tech, 18yrs in the business, ASE certified, honda school and training
6428861

What does it mean when the TPMS ight on my 2006 Pilot comes

What does it mean when the TPMS ight on my 2006 Pilot comes on. I know this means that the system has been deactivated, but what are the possible causes and can I ignore this or is there a way to resolve this without having to spend too much money?
Category: Honda
Expert:  lorunner replied 9 years ago.

The first thing you should do is check the air pressure in the tires. Does the words TPMS actually light up or is there a picture of a tire with an exclimation point lit?

If filling the tires up with air and driving the car over 30mph doesnt turn the light off than chances are there is a problem with one of the sensors. Usually they are the part of the system that commonly fails.

Continuing to drive with the light on will not harm anything. Its just a tire pressure monitoring system. Basically warning you when a tire is low and prevents rapid tire wear or running it flat.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.

Only the letters TPMS light up. There is no alert for a specific tire that is low in pressure. The light is always off when i start the car and after about 15 minutes of driving the light comes on. I have also read that the sensors being installed incorrectly can cause the VSA to malfuntion. I would appreciate if you can respond on this as that is my reason for asking if I can safely ignore this warning.

Expert:  lorunner replied 9 years ago.
Its is possible under certain circumstances for the TPMS to also trigger the VSA light. When this hapens than the VSA is disabled. At that time i would say its not a good idea to ignore the light. However if just the TPMS is on than i wouldnt worry to much about it.

What does TPMS mean?

Many car owners run ino this acronym and wonder, "What does TPMS mean?" TPMS stands for “tire pressure monitoring system,” the system that lets you know when your tires are low in air pressure. It is required for all vehicles manufactured after 2007, and some higher end cars built prior to 2007 also have it.  

Seeing a message such as tire pressure sensor fault” in your car’s message center, sometimes persistently, is a fairly common problem for almost every make of car, and Fords are especially prone to it. This message does not mean your tire pressure is low. That's indicated on your dashboard by the image of a tire with an exclamation point inside itWhat it actually