Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

How to install rack and pinon on 98 honda civic lx

how to install rack and pinon on 98 honda civic lx
Relist: I still need help.
I've been out of work three days now
Answered in 3 days by:
8/28/2008
carcareman
carcareman, ASE Certified Technician

HiCustomer

Here is the manuals instructions, you will need to remove a portion of the exhaust.

Good Luck

Rich

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Click image to see an enlarged viewLocation of the rack and pinion steering gear mounting bolts

1. Lift the power steering reservoir off of its mount and disconnect the inlet hose.
  2. Insert a length of tubing into the inlet hose and route the tubing into a drain container.
  3. With the engine running at idle, turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times until fluid stops running out of the hose. Immediately shut off the engine.
  4. Position the front wheels straight ahead. Lock the steering column with the ignition key. Reconnect the reservoir inlet hose.
  5. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  6. Remove the steering joint cover and remove the upper and lower steering joint bolts.
  7. Raise and support the vehicle safely.
  8. Remove the front wheels.
  9. Remove the tie rod end cotter pins and castle nuts. Using a ball joint tool, disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
  10. Remove the left tie rod end and slide the rack all the way to the right.
  11. Disconnect the Heated Oxygen (HO2S) sensor.
  12. Remove the self-locking nuts and separate the catalytic converter from the exhaust pipe. Remove the catalytic converter.
  13. On vehicles equipped with manual transaxles, disconnect the shift linkage from the transaxle case.
  14. On vehicles equipped with automatic transaxles, remove the shift cable cover, disconnect the cable, and wire it up and out of the way.
  15. Use a flare nut wrench to disconnect the two hydraulic lines from the rack valve body. Plug the lines to keep dirt and moisture out. Carefully move the disconnected lines to the rear of the rack assembly so that they are not damaged when the rack is removed.
  16. Remove the rack stiffener plate, then remove the steering rack mounting bolts.
  17. Pull the steering rack down to release it from the pinion shaft.
  18. Drop the steering rack far enough to permit the end of the pinion shaft to come out of the hole in the frame channel.
  19. Slide the steering rack to the right until the left tie rod clears the subframe, then drop it down and out of the vehicle to the left.

To install:

Use new gaskets and self-locking nuts when installing the catalytic converter.

WARNING Use only genuine Honda power steering fluid. Any other type or brand of fluid will damage the power steering pump.

1. Before installing the rack & pinion, slide the ends all the way to the right. Install the pinion shaft grommet. The lug on the pinion shaft grommet aligns with the slot on the valve body.
  2. Install the steering rack into position. Install the pinion shaft grommet and insert the pinion through the hole in the bulkhead.
  3. Install the rack mounting bolts. Tighten the bracket bolts to 28 ft. lbs. (39 Nm). Tighten the stiffener plate mounting bolts to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm).
  4. Center the rack ends within their steering strokes.
  5. Center the air bag cable reel, as follows:
    1. Turn the steering wheel left approximately 150°, to check the cable reel position with the indicator.
    2. If the cable reel is centered, the yellow gear tooth lines up with the alignment mark on the cover.
    3. Return the steering wheel right approximately 150° to position the steering wheel in the straight ahead position.
  6. Line up the bolt hole in the steering joint with the groove in the pinion shaft. Slip the joint onto the pinion shaft. Pull the joint up and down to be sure the splines are fully seated. Tighten the joint bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm).

Connect the steering joint and pinion shaft with the cable reel and steering rack centered. Verify that the lower joint bolt is securely seated in the pinion shaft groove. If the steering wheel and rack are not centered, reposition the serrations at the lower end of the steering joint.

1. Install the steering joint cover and the rack & pinion cover.
  2. Reconnect the two hydraulic lines to the rack valve body. Carefully tighten the 14mm inlet fitting to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm) and the 16mm outlet fitting to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).
  3. If equipped with a manual transaxle, connect the shift cable and the select cable to the transaxle with new cotter pins.
  4. If equipped with an automatic transaxle, connect the shift cable to the transaxle using a new lock washer. Tighten the lockbolt to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
  5. Install the catalytic converter using new gaskets and self-locking nuts. Tighten the front nuts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm), and the rear nuts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
  6. Reconnect the HO2S sensor.
  7. Install the tie rod ends onto the rack ends. Connect the tie rod ends to the steering knuckles and install the castle nuts.
  8. Tighten the ball joint castle nuts to 29-35 ft. lbs. (40-48 Nm). Then, tighten them only enough to install new cotter pins.
  9. Install the front wheels.
  10. Lower the vehicle.
  11. Reconnect the negative battery cable.
  12. Be sure the reservoir inlet line has been reconnected. Fill the reservoir to the upper line with Honda power steering fluid. Run the engine at idle and turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock several times to bleed air from the system and fill the rack valve body. Recheck the fluid level and add more if necessary.
  13. Check the power steering system for leaks.
  14. Check the front wheel alignment and steering wheel spoke angle. Make adjustments by turning the left and right tie rod ends equally.
  15. Road test the vehicle.
where do I find these. Is this where the 2 10mm bolts are and I have to unscrew with the two little pipes14mm and take out the part that connects to the steering wheel and the joint thing that holds them togther?
do I need to pull this part off the rack and pinion and then place it in the opening/ install the rack and pinion and then attached everything back together.? See below

Are you referring to the exhaust? If so it is the catalytic converter that needs to be removed. It resembles a muffler up towards the engine area. I don`t remember what the bolt size is. It will ultimately come out through the left side. There is a certain way of getting it out. Read the instructions closely.

In reference to your next reply that step is done after the rack is back in the car and the steering shaft is hooked up. Then the cover and lines.

so I need to take it apart by where the end sticks up in the steering with the two bolts and also the retuns lines before i try to install the bar it self is what I'm asking. I've been ting to install the whole thing at once and I'm getting stuck. But in order for me to get it out I had to disassembly into two pieces. Is this how I get it back in now by disassembling it into two parts again where the end that goes into the steering column with the return lines and the power steering line.

Sir,

You should not have to disassemble the new rack and if you do you may void any warranty on it. With the exhaust out of the way and the shift cable you should be able to install it through the left side. It will be tight and wiggling and twisting will need to be done. If you have some one to help guide the tie rod through the other side while you wiggle it in that may help.

carcareman
carcareman, ASE Certified Technician
Hi Rich, Thanks Dog!!!
I must say I tried wiggling the rack but it was still getting stuck but by chance I tried to pull it back out and I accidentally grabbed the tie rod and as it move downward I saw that the shafrt actually turned and the rack moved a little bit, that's when I realizied what you meant so with your help the rack is in. I stripped the nut on the power steering line and it's leaking. any suggestions?
carcareman
carcareman
carcareman, ASE Certified Technician