Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

1997 honda civic: ignition switch to starter all fuses are..relays

Customer Question
1997 honda civic im not...
1997 honda civic im not geting power from ignition switch to starter all fuses are good and so are relays
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Honda
6/22/2008
Mechanic for Honda: lorunner, Auto Service Technician replied 9 years ago
lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician

if fuses 41, 8oamp, and 42, 40amp are good than what i would do is go under the dash. There is a flat brown connector by teh fuse box. Its the harness that comes off the wires from the ignition lock. Check for power at the Black/White wire If there isnt power there than replace teh electrical portion of the ignition switch. the contacts do wear from use over time.

I have attached a pic. Its connector C415 that your looking for. It should have several thick wires and a few smaller ones in the connector.

graphic

lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician
i checked that and if i remember corectly i'm not getting power.. so i will check in the morning.. i will let you know. thanks for getting back.
no power to black and white wire ckd all fuses and relays other wires on electrical comp have power can the electrical comp be replaced without replacing ignition switch.. if so what do i ask for at the auto parts and do you think this will fix the problem???

If there isnt any power to the black/white wire when the key is in teh crank position than i would say the ignition switch is bad. Yes you can just get the electrical portion without the key part.

the black and white wire is getting power when the key is in crank pos but still not got getting power to starter. do you think the fuselink is out if so where is the fusible link located exactly? Do you have a picture to show me exactly where i can find it.

Honda doesnt use fuseable links. Thats mainly a Ford thing. If the black/white has power in crank than the switch is good.

What i want you to do is locate the starter cut relay. There are 4 wires going into it. Your going to have to push in the clutch for this test.

There are 2 black/white wires and one black/red wire. All 3 of them should have power with the key in the crank position. And the blue/black wire should have ground. So 3 powers and one ground. What did you come up with?

below is the starter cut relay.

graphic

OKAY THE 2 BLK AND WHITE HAVE POWER, BUT THE RED/BLK DOES NOT.. PLEASE ADVISE

What are you getting at the Blue/Black with the clutch pedal pushed in?

NOTHING. WHITE/BLK HAS POWER AND 2ND WHITE/BLK HAS POWER RED/BLK DOESNT HAVE POWER. NEITHER DOES THE BLUE/BLK WITH THE CLUTCH IN..THIS BLUE/BLK WIRE IS SMALLER THAN THE OTHERS

Sorry its been taking me long to get back to you.

Ok The Blue/black you need to check for GROUND not power. If you dont have ground there thats why you dont have power at the black/red. Because the relay isnt energizing.

If there isnt ground the next thing is to go right to the clutch switch itself. Unplug it and jump the Black wire directly to the Blue/black wire and see if it starts. If it starts the clutch switch is bad.

graphic

If it still doesnt start than you might have a bad ground. Check for continuity to ground at the Black wire for the clutch switch. If you dont have ground first jump ground directly to the blue/black wire of the clutch switch connector and see if the system works and the car starts. If it does than we need to find the bad ground.

The gound for the switch is at the left kick panel so the wire shouldnt be that long. Remove the panel and make sure the ground is connected.

graphic

grounded blue/blk wire and car started.. with and w/o pushing in the clutch. does this mean the clutch switch is bad?
More than likely. If you just jumped the blue/black to ground i would now take the 2 wires that are in theta connector that plugs into the switch and jump them 2 together. If the car starts still than Yes the clutch switch is bad.
sorry man i had to go out of town... ok i just went ahead and put the clutch switch and car still doesnt work... but if i ground the blu/blk wire the car starts. what now?

Ok the switch gets its ground from the black wire that is supposed to be perminantly grounded. I would remove the kick panel trim on the drivers side. I have added a photo. Its ground G401 in the picture.

Its like a white block with alot of wires going into it. If you see nothing wrong with the wires going into it you have 2 choices. One is to trace the Black wire from the clutch switch to that ground block and find the break. or just run a seperate wire from the black wire at the clutch switch to that ground screw.

graphic

THANKS.. I WILL TRY THAT IN THE MORNING..
One more thing. Just make sure when the clutch pedal is in the up position that the plunger in the switch is fully pushed in.
lorunner
lorunner
lorunner, Auto Service Technician