Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

05 acura tl message on dash panel says service engine ...

05 acura tl message on...
05 acura tl message on dash panel says service engine soon A1. Changed oil. and rotated tires. How do I reset the monitor to make the message go away?
3/18/2008
adin3
adin3, Honda Mechanic
Well that service engine soon is a check engine light, you need to have the code pulled to see what's wrong. This is a indication that the PCM has detected a problem and you need to check it out. Many parts places (Autozone) will check the code for free and tell you what it is. If you would like it erased you can take the battery clamps off and leave them off for 3min and put them back on and it will reset it. Or you can kindly ask someone at autozone to erase them and they will do it for you.
The owners manual indicated that the A in the "A1" part of the message indicates that the oil life was less than 15% and the 1 in the message indicates that it was time to rotate the tires. It gave instructions to reset the counter to tell the computer that the service has been performed. The answer you are giving me doesn't seem to coincide with the manufacturer's instructions

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON

2. Select Trip A or Trip B (You can use either one, so if you are using one to record data for something, use the other one to reset the Oil Life Indicator).

3. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.

4. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds. The Multi-Information Display will ask for a confirmation.

• a. If you are sure you want to reset the display, press the Select/Reset button for 10 seconds again. (This is the part omitted from the manual.)
  • b. If you do not want to reset the display, press the < or > button to select "Cancel"

Good luck and sorry about the confusion!

Did that work out?

The manual does say everything you have quoted, but the only thing that resets is the mileage counter in either trip A or B. I can't get the oil life meter to reset and hence the message to go away with these instructions. Any other suggestions??

Those instruction have to work. You have to go on the oil life display, sounds like you remained in the trip display. Make sure you are on the oil life display.

Try it like this

1. Turn ignition switch to ON
2. Press the < or > button repeatedly until the oil life is displayed.
3. Press and hold the Select/Reset button for 10 sec.(may start to blink) The MID will ask for confirmation.
+If you are sure you want to reset the display, press the Select/Reset button to select "OK".

The oil life is ONLY displayed when the trip meter is in the screen: trip meter top line, oil life second line. I press and hold the Select/Reset button, the trip meter resets, the original message reappears (no blinking, no request for confirmation.) I have followed these instructions dozens of times now. The same results everytime.
I am very sorry, that is the only thing that my manual says here. I will opt out, another expert will attempt to assist you.
acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech

hiCustomerwelcome to just answer. i do this 10 times a day so ill try to walk you through it. push the info button to the right untill the oil life is displayed then push and hold the select reset button untill the screen changes then let go and press one more time .you must have the door closed to do this .let me know how you do

acuramstr

OK. Thanks for adding input from an actual Acura representative. I have followed your simplified instructions yet again exactly as you stated them. It is the same instructions as is printed in the manual, right? At the end of the process this is what is on the screen:

Odometer reading
        Trip A: xxxx
        Oil Life: >15%
botXXXXX XXXXXne is an envelope picture with a number 1(one) next to it.

Another note: When the "screen changes" during the process, it still is saying "Service Due Soon: A1"

Any other suggestions? I would have contacted or gone to visit an Acura dealer myself by now, however my schedule really has not allowed me to do so, and I was really hoping you guys would know how to do this. Do I have an electrical malfunction or something else going on?

ok try this press reset untill the screen turns orange continue to hold it .the screen will say service due soon hold the button down untill it changes again the screen will say cancell or reset lift off the button for 1 second repress button one time turn key off .that should force reset system .let me know what happens

acuramstr

acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech
YES!!!!   Thanks Acurmstr. What a relief! I can't stand it when my car nags at me.
acura mstr
acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech