Craig
Craig, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  11 Yrs Honda Dealership Experience, Honda Platinum Certification 2003, ASE Master with L1 Advanced
6983326

my dash is showing the orange engine light on at all ...

my dash is showing the orange engine light on at all times. I went to an autozone store and they put a computer thing on it and it said something about the knock/ping sensor. I have also notice that my gas mileage is absolutely terrible. I have recently also notice a ticking sound when the car is traveling down the road - sounds like it''s on the driver side and don''t know if it''s in a tire or is a result of this knock/ping sensor. Should I get this fixed as fast as possible and do you know the approximate cost it would be?

Welcome to the site.

What year/make/model Honda are you driving?

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
2004 honda crv

Do you know what the code was? It should have been a P....

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
no i don't know what the code was - I can take it back and have them put that meter on it again to get the info - guess i will get back to you this afternoon or tomorrow.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
I WENT TO AUTOZONE AND THIS IS WHAT THEIR DIAGNOSTIC SAID:
ERROR #P0325
PCM HAS DETERMINED THAT A MALFUNCTION EXISTS IN THE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT FOR KNOCK SENSOR.
IF I NEED TO REPLACE THE KNOCK SENSOR IS IT EASILY ACCESSIBLE - WHERE WOULD IT BE? ALSO WOULD THAT BE THE CAUSE OF THE TICKING I HEAR ON DRIVER'S SIDE WHEN THE CAR IS IN MOTION?
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Thought I had relisted but guess I didn't because haven't received a reply (about 2 hours ago).
Went to Autozone and they put their troubleshooting gadget on it and the troubleshooting code is P0325 - malfunction exists in electrical circuit for knock sensor 1. Do I need to replace the knock sensor and if so where is it located? Thanks.
Sorry. It didn't tell me you listed the code.

Knock sensor location:

graphic

It can only be accessed from underneath the vehicle unless you remove the intake manifold on the top. Not a fun job. There are no known problems with that sensor and I have never had to replace one on that engine that I can remember. I would start by replacing the sensor. There is a long list of ways to check the wiring harness but unless the vehicle has been wrecked, the harness should be ok. That sensor will probably only be available at the dealership. You can try and find it aftermarket but that isn't a sensor that goes bad often. This code will affect fuel mileage as the computer relies on this signal to know how to adjust ignition timing.

For the noise, that could be just about anything. Its probably not related to the knock sensor. It could be something in the tire, could be brake related, could be wheel bearing or axle related?