JHoop
JHoop, Honda Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

How do I get security code to unlock my radio --had to ...

How do I get security code to unlock my radio?--had to exchange batteries and locked up
Category: Honda
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

SOURCE:
Honda Service News May 2003 TITLE:
Electronically Retrieving Audio Unit Serial Numbers APPLIES TO:
2001-03 Accord, 2001-03 Civic, 2002-03 CR-V 2003 Element, 2002-03 Odyssey, 2003 Pilot, 2003 S2000 (See SN030510 for specific model applicability). SERVICE TIP:
If an audio unit with theft protection is disconnected from electrical power, you must enter a unique code number into the unit or it
doesn't work. This code and the audio unit's serial number are listed on the anti-theft ID card that comes with the vehicle. If this card is lost, you must get the code number from the Interactive Network (iN). In order to do that , you need to get the audio unit serial number. Some Honda models let you do that electronically. Here's how:

All Honda models with electronically retrievable audio unit serial numbers*(except 2003 Accord with navigation system)

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).

2. Turn on the audio unit, and make sure you see COdE in the display. If you don't see this message, remove the backup fuse for1 minute , and then go back to step 1.

3. Turn off the audio unit.

4. Press and hold the 1 and 6 preset buttons, then turn on the audio unit. The display toggles between two screens. The first screen displays a U and the first four digits of the serial number (for example, U2200 ). The second screen displays an L and the last four digits of the serial number (for example, L0055 ). Ignore the U and L , and write down all eight digits. Then go to step 5.

5. Enter the eight-digit serial number into iN to get the anti-theft code. From the main screen, click on Service .

-Click on Accessories .

-Click on Anti-Theft Code Inq .

-From the Anti-Theft Code Inquiry screen, select the product from the Product pulldown menu , enter the eight-digit serial number in the Serial Number box, and click Submit .

6. Enter the anti-theft code into the audio unit. Refer to the appropriate owner's manual for details.

2003 Accord with navigation system

1. Turn the ignition switch to ACC (I).

2. Turn on the audio unit, and make sure you see COdE in the upper display. If you don't see this message, remove the backup fuse for 1 minute , and then go back to step 1.

3. Turn off the audio unit.

4. Press and hold the top halves of the SEEK/SKIP and CH/DISC bars, and then press and release the PWR/VOL knob. The display toggles between two screens. The first screen displays a U and the first four digits of the serial number (for example, U2200 ). The second screen displays an L and the last four digits of the serial number (for example, L0055 ). Ignore the U and L , and write down all eight digits. Then go to step 5.

5. Enter the eight-digit serial number into iN to get the anti-theft code.

-From the main screen, click on Service .

-Click on Accessories .

-Click on Anti-Theft Code Inq . From the Anti-Theft Code Inquiry screen, select the product from the Product pulldown menu , enter the eight-digit serial number in the Serial Number box, and click Submit .

6. Use the TUNE knob to enter the anti-theft code into the audio unit. When you turn the knob, COdE disappears, and a single digit is displayed. Turn the knob left or right to select each of the five digits of the audio code. When you press the TUNE knob, the system beeps, and accepts each digit as it spells out COdE on the display.

* Refer to the article "Which Honda Models Have Electronically Retrievable Audio Unit S/N's" in SN030510 for a complete list of the models.

Or, you may find it on a sticker in or around the glove box area, or in the vehicles owners manual. Here is what the sticker looks like.
graphic
graphic
With the Serial Number in hand, you can contact the dealership service department and they in turn can give you the release code.
I hope this helps you better understand how this works. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Dont forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to recieve credit.)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to JHoop's Post: Steps would not generate serial number(2 sections)---Error 1, Error 2, Error 3 and Error four were generated each time buttons 1 and 6 were pressed simultaneously
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
Then you will have to remove the unit and obtain the serial number from the top. I know this is not quite the answer you were looking for, believe me I know. I've personally had to go through this very same procedure your having to go through now. Removing the unit is actually quite simple. If you would like help in doing so, let me know and I'll dig up the procedure. I hope this helps. Thanks, JHoop.