Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

95 honda civic: my car wont..car wont start..coil..spark plugs

Customer Question
i have a 95 honda...
i have a 95 honda civic 1.6 vetc and my car wont start it is not getting and fire to the disp. cap which is brand new and the ignitor is brand new i have a msd cap and external coil changed all the spark plugs and wires and still now fire to the cap. could it be a fired wire or something like that please help me
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Honda
1/20/2007
Mechanic for Honda: Tech444, Ase certified Honda certified tech replied 11 years ago
Tech444
Tech444, Ase certified Honda certified tech

Is the distributor itself new?Also the connections at the distribuotr are connected correctly.Also did you mx up the wires to the ignitor very common for that to happen.Ok check all these fuses first,possibly shorted out the eld in the fuse box

graphic

the disp. cap is new and all fuses are ok all wires are right and wires to ignitor are right marked them before i took them off
All this happend after the headlight instalation,and what about the distributor is that new ,did the car run before the headliht instalation ,and did it run aftert the external coil was installed

the msd disp. cap and coil was on the before the head lights where installed and it ran up untill after the lights where put on

im getting volts to the coil and the ignitor but no spark to the plugs

First hows the distributor rotor,f thats ok then it sounds like you either burnt out the eld in the under hood fuse box and need to replace the fuse box or you fried the ecm which is very possible.I would go with the eld first as its where the headlight wires run through also if shorted the headlights theres a good chance you fried the fuse box,I would definately start there
well the dim light wouldnt work but the bright light would but no power runing through the power wire for the head light

well the dim light wouldnt work but the bright light would but no power runing through the power wire for the head light it was only the right side head light

Yep sounds like you fried the fuse box under hood.I would definately start there.As long as your absolutely sure the uses are all good under hood and under dash then you must of fried the under hood fuse box which has the electronic load detector in i and it also controls the distributor,id start there,lets hope you didnt frie the ecm .

eld in the under hood fuse box and need to replace the fuse box or you fried the ecm where is it at?

all the fuses are good and have power running to them the fuse box seems ok

The eld is intergated and part of the underhood fuse box and would have to replace fuse box to fix it.Well if its good the next thing would be the ecm located under passenger side carpet thats the next thing to check,if its fried you need to replace it with a good ecm and see if you have spark
Reply to Tech444's Post:

how do u tell if the eld is bad? and how would u replace it?

You would have to replace the entire under hood fuse box cannot get it seperate.You would need to do a voltage and resistance test to determine if its bad
where do u do a voltage test and resistance test? what should the voltage be and resistance be?
Ok its all done fron the back of the use box where the connectors are ill try to find the test and post it for you

Ok there is no specefic test for the eld ,just checked the honda site,also do me a favor check this ground first

graphic

Well if that ground is good leads to a shrted out ecu.
both tested didnt work i kinda guessed it was the ecu but didnt want that to be bad well the only thing i dont know is how can my coil have power and run power to my cap but after that it doesnt spark
Well thats all controlled by the ecu,sorry for the bad news,please accept if you found this info helpful
Tech444
Reply to Tech444's Post: on my 95 honda civic about the eld? checked all fuses have power on both sides of fuse and relays have power is there another test to check the eld?
Reply to Tech444's Post: thank you for all the help found the shorted out wire in the fuse box my car is fixed thank you very much
Mechanic for Honda: Tech444, Ase certified Honda certified tech replied 10 years ago

No problem glad to point you in the right direction

Bonuses also very welcome

Tech444
Tech444