Honda

Have Honda Questions? Ask a Honda Repair Expert.

Honda

1995 Honda Accord: It starts and then dies immediately..same thing

Customer Question
I have a 1995 Honda...
I have a 1995 Honda Accord. It starts and then dies immediately. Each time I try to start it, it does the same thing. I have spark to the plugs. I have also disconnected the fuel line and when I turn the engine over fuel is pumping out. Before the engine was cut-off the lights on the panel were flickering on and off as well as the gages dropping to zero and back up again. Once the engine was cut-off then it started the above problem and has not started since. Therefore, I am lost. It seems to have both fire and fuel, so what else could be wrong.
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Honda
4/23/2006
Mechanic for Honda: 32roadster, Automotive Mechanic replied 11 years ago
32roadster
32roadster, Automotive Mechanic

It sounds like you have an electrical problem.

Make sure that the ignition components have clean/tight/ good connections.

Especially check the alternator connections.

How did this problem begin?

how many miles does it have?

32roadster
32roadster, Automotive Mechanic
Reply to 32roadster's Post: The problem began just driving diwn the road, my daughter had been driving for about 130 miles when the problem first began.

The car has 90,000 miles on it

did she explain what happened when this started happening?

like I said, check for any loose/damp connections at the distributor/ coil and especially the alternator connections.

If that fine, then try spraying some engine start fluid into the intake and see if it helps. We have to find out if this is a fuel or ignition/electrical problem.

Reply to 32roadster's Post: She said that the car started busting out, and all of the dash lights started flashing off & on, it would clear up then start again but she made the final 90 miles home.

I have already put a Brand New not rebuilt alt.on the car, and filled it up with High Test Gasoline. After this was done it cranked up and ran fine for approx. 15 minutes, I mshut it down and it started up fine again, but today on the way to Church it started acting up the same way again

this is likely an electrical issue, because you mentioned that the dash lights flicker when it acts up.

About how long after the car is started does it start to act up?

also, did you make sure to get the same amp rating of the old alternator?

Reply to 32roadster's Post: She had driven about 130 miles coming home from school, the car has never done this before, I guess she had been driving for an hour and a half.
I bought the new Alt. at PEP Boys it was supposed to be the correct replacement, But I'm not sure at this time

It is likely that they may have given the wrong amp rating and maybe it puts out enough power when it first starts, but once hot it doesnt provide enough power thus creating your problem.

Reply to 32roadster's Post: Ok, thanks, 32roadster

np, let me know your status once you have things checked up.

I would test drive it around the neighborhood till the engine reaches operating temperature and see when it starts to act up. Note the rpm's, where the engine temperature is at, and if it does it while accelerating/decceleration or when you have the brake depressed.

Reply to 32roadster's Post: I Can't drive it at all now it starts easy every time but only runs for 1 or 2 Second and shuts off , but starts up aging ebery time i turn the key on to start, then it shuts down again. The ALT. that i got at Pep Boys was an 80 amp ALT. which they said was what the book called for

Now, we need to make sure that this isnt being caused by the fuel system(just to get it out of the way). What you need to do is, spray some engine start fluid into the manifold and then try to start it. Pay attention to how the engine responds to the fluid. If it sounds like it helps, then we can get it out the way. If not, then thats what we need to focus on.

I was just wondering, if you have a timing light? with a timing light, you can check if there is spark when the engine is giving up. You would hook it up the same way as if you were to check timing, but you wouldnt be interested in the timing. You would just watch for the flashes.(its ok if not available)

also, after or before you do the check with the engine start fluid. Check for vacuum leaks especially around the intake manifold and throttle body.

I was also wondering, if you checked the electrical connections at the ignition coil, distributor, and alternator?if not, do so.

32roadster
32roadster
32roadster, Automotive Mechanic