Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Penn # XXXXX Questions 1 to 25: Select the best answer to…

Customer Question
penn foster # XXXXX Questions...
penn foster # XXXXX Questions 1 to 25: Select the best answer to each question.1. An electromagnet becomes stronger when theA. current through the magnetizing coil is increased.
B. core of the magnet is removed.C. size of wire in the coil is increased.D. number of turns in the coil is reduced.2. The purpose of the shading coil in some appliance motors is toA. increase the current flow through the rotor.
B. cause imbalance in the magnetic field.C. place more weight on one pole.D. strengthen the iron form of the motor.3. The rotor in a shaded-pole motor consists ofA. coils energized by alternating current.
B. a short-circuited loop of copper wire.C. a permanent magnet.D. an iron cylinder.4. Why does a shaded-pole motor run at a constant speed?A. The lines of force do not change direction.
B. The current through the rotor circuit is constant.C. The inertia of the load is at a minimum.D. The frequency of the applied voltage is constant.5. What will happen if you place too many washers on the end of a shaded-pole motor shaft?A. The motor will become noisy.
B. The rotor will jam.C. The bearings will become too heavy.D. The shaft will loosen.6. A shaded-pole motor coil will have a resistance of approximatelyA. 2 to 4 ohms.
B. 5 to 10 ohms.C. 15 to 40 ohms.D. 100 to 200 ohms.7. The device which disconnects the start winding in some split-phase motor circuits after a preset speed is obtained is theA. thermostat.
B. commutator.C. brush spring.D. relay.8. It is essential for a relay energized by alternating current to haveA. many turns of small wire.
B. a laminated core and a shading coil.C. high resistance and light weight.D. double-pole double-throw contacts.9. Which one of the following statements is true of a split-phase motor when it is starting?A. The speed is high.
B. The torque is high.C. The current is low.D. The voltage is low.10. An important difference between a universal and a split-phase motor is that the split-phase motor hasA. two brushes attached to the stator.
B. a single coil formed on the rotor.C. two windings on the stator.D. an armature with a commutator.11. The function of a start winding in a split-phase motor is toA. provide the starting torque.
B. reduce the starting current.C. decrease the strength of the magnetic field.D. improve the steady running at full speed.12. Which one of the following parts of a universal motor does not move?A. The armature
B. The field coilC. The shaftD. The commutator13. A universal motor uses brushes made ofA. steel.
B. brass.C. copper.D. carbon.14. Why should you not use emery cloth for polishing the commutator of an appliance motor?A. It wears the surface too much.
B. Its dust conducts electricity.C. It fails to remove oily, discolored spots.D. Its material reacts chemically with copper.15. The commutator of a universal motor connects each armature coil toA. the rotor.
B. the shaft.C. the gearbox.D. a brush.16. The part you should check first when you are servicing a sparking universal motor is theA. commutator.
B. armature.C. brushes.D. field windings.17. The range of motion for most pull-type solenoids is approximatelyA. 50 mm. (2 in.)
B. 2.5 cm. (1 in.)C. 3.0 cm. (1.25 in.)D. 3.5 cm. (1.5 in.)18. In a solenoid valve system, if the voltage on the coil is 118 VAC and a continuity test of the solenoid's coil measures 80 ohms, yet the solenoid will not allow water flow, the most likely cause of failure is aA. broken spring.
B. stuck plunger.C. faulty coil.D. cracked disk.19. If, when a relay is energized, you measure 0.05 VAC across a set of normally open contacts, theA. relay is operating properly.
B. contacts must be burnt.C. contacts must be pitted.D. coil is open.20. If a shaded-pole motor is chattering or buzzing while it is turning, the problem is most likely caused byA. an open shading pole.
B. a faulty coil.C. a shorted rotor winding.D. a faulty or worn bearing.21. The centrifugal switch contacts on a split-phase motor will open when the motor reaches what percentage of full speed?A. 20%
B. 50%C. 70%D. 90%22. What will be the normal rotating speed in RPM for a split-phase motor with six poles covered by each run winding?A. 900
B. 1200C. 2400D. 360023. The calculated speed of a four-pole split-phase motor is 1800 RPM. However, if you measure the shaft speed, you will find it to be 1725 RPM. What causes this loss of rotational speed?A. Counter electromagnet force
B. Magnetic slipC. Centrifugal mechanism loadingD. Power line frequency changes24. Which one of the following is NOT a method of universal motor speed control?A. Tapped field windings with a switch selector.
B. Varying the voltage using semiconductor devices.C. Dynamic braking of the motor's shaft.D. Using an adjustable centrifugal switch in parallel with a resistor.25. If you need to disassemble a permanent-magnet motor, you should alwaysA. avoid match marking the case for fear of loosening the magnets.
B. replace the bearings since the case is open.C. pull the armature out of the case.D. pull the case from the armature which is held in a vise.If you experience technical difficulty while taking this exam, wait a few minutes and follow the instructions on the FAQ.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/3/2018
Tutor: akch2002, Engineer replied 3 months ago
akch2002
akch2002, Engineer

I can reply these question if you forward the relevant text material and questions in softform.