Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Can you tell me how much weight it would take to bend and…

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me how much weight it would take to bend and break a piece of 1018 Cold Rolled Steel Flat Bar that is 1.5 inches thick, 2.75 inches wide and 16 inches long. The bar would be laid on the wide side and supported at the ends. The load would be directly in the middle.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Homework
Actually, the load would be on the middle 2 inches of the bar.
Answered in 4 days by:
4/1/2018
Tutor: William Purpura,
 replied 3 months ago
William Purpura

To be honest this is not a simple question even though you say the load will be placed at the center of a flat rectangular surface that is 2.75" wide by 16" since you do not provide any details on how this load would be applied. For example, will it be by hanging a flexible strap 2 inches wide across its surface and the weight being hung from it? Will be a direct load like a beam vertical resting on it and if so what is the dimensions of the contact edge on the surface of the beam? Will there be chain wrapped around it and a load hung from it? The issue here is the pounds per square inch loading being placed on the surface which will be dramatically different in each case. You also do not mention if there will be any vibration involved that could shift the center of loading point over time. YIf the strap, cable, or chain is used does it move around the bar the weight is added by pulling something up? Another issue would when the bars start to bend with the flexible strap which can result in an increased pounds per square inch load as the contact area becomes narrower. Finally, you do not provide any details as to how much of the 16 long bar is being supported at each end. Is each end equally supported and by how much as well as what is the strength of the material of the supporting surface since it could fail first. I know this is sound very detailed but in a real world loading analysis all of this factors must be considered to accurately answer your question