Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Sentence Patterns and Verb Expansion Part I Directions: In a…

Customer Question
Sentence Patterns and Verb Expansion...
Sentence Patterns and Verb Expansion Part I Directions: In a separate word document, retype the sentence and draw vertical lines to identify the slot boundaries in the following sentences; label each slot with its form and function. In parentheses at the end of the sentence, identify its sentence pattern. Example: My roommates/ fixed/ spaghetti and garlic bread/ for dinner/ on Friday (VII) NP V compd NP prep ph prep ph :Form Subject pred vb dir obj adv adv :Function 1. After several weeks on the job, Michael and Nicole became great friends. ( ) 2. The librarian found me a brochure and three additional articles. ( ) 3. Eager sunbathers crowded the beaches during the first warm days in April. ( ) 4. Our dog often lies on our bed for the whole afternoon. ( ) 5. To the insect, a few drops of rain are a flood. ( ) 6. The team leader broke down the major goals into three specific areas. ( ) 7. My great aunt left her husband a large fortune. ( ) 8. The new medication left Georgia weak and drowsy. ( ) 9. The dentist’s assistant set up an appointment for me for tomorrow. ( ) 10. My breath smells badly because of the onions. ( ) 11. The new sales manager is by nature gruff and unfriendly. ( ) 12. The pickles are next to the condiments. ( ) 13. My group lead called my last proposal amazing. ( ) 14. The runner from Monaco tripped and fell at the finish line. ( ) 15. “A society of sheep begets a government of wolves.” (Bertrand de Jouvenal) ( ) 16. “Laughter is the closest thing to the grace of God.” (Karl Barth) ( ) 17. The hardness of the peanut butter is proportional to the softness of the bread. ( ) 18. “A wide screen makes a bad film worse.” (Samuel Goldwyn). ( ) 19. The IRS looked into the matter. ( ) 20. Too many people make money their primary interest. ( ) Part II Directions: Identify the components of the main verb in each of the following sentences. Your answers will be in the form of verb strings. Example: Mike was having a bad day = past + be + -ing + have 1. The students were studying in the lunchroom. 2. I have finally found my lost mitten. 3. I lost it on the first day of classes. 4. Sheila has been skipping classes again. 5. She could be in big trouble. 6. My hard drive crashed Monday. 7. Chris certainly seems happy in his new office. 8. He will probably be having a party this Monday. 9. My roommate may be graduating after only 2 years. 10. I should have studied longer for this test. Part III Directions: In parentheses, identify the pattern of the basic sentence underlying each of the following transformed sentences. On the line beneath the sentence, identify the structural shift in focus that the sentence has undergone: passive voice, there transformation, or cleft sentence. Example: The students have been given their locker assignments. (VII) Passive 1. There is always a traffic jam on the 101 at noon. ( ) 2. The street in front of our office was resurfaced on Tuesday. ( ) 3. There were too many suspects in last night’s episode of NYPD Blues. ( ) 4. What brings tourists to New Hampshire in October is the magnificent display of fall foliage. ( ) 5. It was your stolen base in the ninth inning that set up the winning run. ( ) 6. “There’s no business like show business.” (Irving Berlin) ( ) 7. Several students from our dorm were questioned about the fight. ( ) 8. It was my neighbor who broke up the fight. ( ) 9. What Jenny sent her mother for Christmas was a poinsettia. ( ) 10. The food at that restaurant is often served too hot. ( )
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Homework
3/17/2018
Tutor: GLENN GILONGOS,
 replied 4 months ago
GLENN GILONGOS

Hi

When is this due? (how many days from now?)

Sunday at midnight
Tutor: GLENN GILONGOS,
 replied 4 months ago

ok

Tutor: GLENN GILONGOS,
 replied 4 months ago

Kindly accept the small offer below, thanks.