Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Exam Number: 089020RR

Exam Number: 089020RR
3/3/2018
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work

I have already answered 089020RR in your other post, but you can just substitute another one (e.g.,089021RR) here and I will see if I can assist with that exam.

-Chris M.

Hello again,

Here are the answers for comparison to your own. Again, Let me know if you have questions about any of these responses.

Exam #089021RR

1. B. flyweights
2. C. petcock
3. C. 10 percent
4. D. must be held level to avoid upsetting the float.
5. A. camshaft.
6. D. venturi
7. C. Adjusting the spring tension in the governor
8. A. Try pulling the seat out using a paper clip shaped into the form of a hook.
9. C. black, smooth residue.
10. C. graphite powder.
11. D. suction-type carburetor.
12. D. 0.01 inch
13. D. The condition of the air cleaner
14. C. pneumatic governor.
15. B. vibrotachometer.
16. B. oil passing the rings or valves.
17. C. 7 : 1
18. C. Pulsa-Jet
19. C. 100 : 1.
20. B. help start an engine.

Hope this helps!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I got a 100 on Exam 089020
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
089035 this is the next one in that set.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Take Exam
Lesson Number: 089035
Exam Guidelines: This is an open book exam. As long as you are actively working on the exam, you have 60 minutes per question to determine your answer.
Use your study guide or study unit as a reference to choose the best answer to each question.
Only fill in answers for as many questions as you have on your test.
To begin the exam, type the examination number, as listed in your study guide or study unit, into the field below, then click Submit.
Enter Exam Number 08903300
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
correct Exam number is *****
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Exam Number: 08903501Lesson Name: Practical Exercise #3 - Small EngineExam Guidelines: This is an open book exam. As long as you are actively working on the exam, you have 60 minutes per question to determine your answer.
Make sure that the exam number from your study unit or study guides matches the exam number displayed above.
When you have completed your exam and reviewed your answers, click Submit Exam.
If you need to exit before completing the exam, click Cancel.
If you would like change your answers and start again, click Reset.Questions 1 to 25: Select the best answer to each question.1.
A.
B.
C.
D.2.
A.
B.
C.
D.3.
A.
B.
C.
D.4.
A.
B.
C.
D.5.
A.
B.
C.
D.6.
A.
B.
C.
D.7.
A.
B.
C.
D.8.
A.
B.
C.
D.9.
A.
B.
C.
D.10.
A.
B.
C.
D.11.
A.
B.
C.
D.12.
A.
B.
C.
D.13.
A.
B.
C.
D.14.
A.
B.
C.
D.15.
A.
B.
C.
D.16.
A.
B.
C.
D.17.
A.
B.
C.
D.18.
A.
B.
C.
D.19.
A.
B.
C.
D.20.
A.
B.
C.
D.21.
A.
B.
C.
D.22.
A.
B.
C.
D.23.
A.
B.
C.
D.24.
A.
B.
C.
D.25.
A.
B.
C.
D.
Submit Exam
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
INTRODUCTION
The purpose of this small engine practical exercise is to help you apply your knowledge of small engine electrical systems and fuel systems to some reallife examples. We’ll present you with some repair shop scenarios, photos of actual engines and parts, and electrical diagrams, and ask you to answer some questions about them. These questions will be graded as an examination. When you’re ready, complete the practical exercise. Then submit only your answers to the school headquarters for grading, using one of the answer options described in your first shipment.
Remember, even though this exercise contains examination questions, we’ve designed it to be fun, challenging, and interesting. Applying your knowledge to real-life situations will help you realize how much you’ve learned. It will be a rewarding experience that will give you confidence in your newly acquired skills.
At the beginning of the practical exercise, we’ve included a section called Suggested Exercises. This section lists some fun, hands-on activities you may want to try on your own. None of these activities are required to complete the course, and you won’t be graded on them. However, these activities are designed to help you increase and enhance your learning.
We hope you enjoy this practical exercise!
Note: Before beginning the exercise, if you wish to review the text material that covers these topics, you can refer back to the study units titled Engine Electrical Systems (08902000) and Engine Fuel Systems (08902100).
SUGGESTED EXERCISES
It’s time to take a break and have some fun. The following are some hands-on activities that you may want to try to enhance your learning. None of these activities will be graded. However, these activities will help you expand your understanding of small engine fuel systems and electrical systems. We therefore recommend that you read through the exercises in order to help you learn to apply your small engine knowledge to some practical situations. At any time, you can proceed to the graded portion of the practical exercise.
Practical Exercise for Module 3
1
Activity 1
In this activity, you’ll learn how to determine the gage (size) of an electrical wire. The size of a wire that’s installed in a circuit is very important for electrical safety. If a wire is too thin for a particular circuit, it will provide too much resistance to current flow. As a result, the wire can overheat or melt, causing short circuits (or even fires). For this reason, the wire that’s used in a circuit must be the proper thickness. If you need to perform repairs on an electrical system in a piece of outdoor power equipment, you may find this information useful.
In the United States, insulated electrical wires are rated according to American Wire Gage (AWG) system. Insulated wire is simply copper wire that’s covered with a thin plastic coating (Figure 1). In the AWG system, the diameter or thicknessofawireisidentifiedbyastandardgagenumber.IntheAWGsystem, the smaller the gage number, the thicker the wire. Some typical wire sizes are listed in Table 1, along with their AWG gage numbers and the amount of current that each wire can carry. Table 1 is just a partial list of the AWG wire gages; on the complete list the largest size of wire listed is gage 0000, and the smallest size listed is gage 36. The diameter of gage 0000 wire is almost 12-inch, while the diameter of gage 36 wire is only five-thousandths of an inch.
2 Practical Exercise for Module 3
Stranded copper conductor
Insulating jacket
FIGURE 1—Shown here is a piece of typical insulated electrical wire. The copper wire is surrounded by an insulating jacket of heat- and water-resistant plastic.
Table 1
ELECTRICAL WIRE SIZES
American Wire Gage Wire Diameter Current Capacity
0 0.3249 150 amps
1 0.2893 130 amps
2 0.2576 115 amps
4 0.2043 85 amps
6 0.1620 65 amps
8 0.1285 45 amps
10 0.1019 30 amps
12 0.0808 20 amps
14 0.0640 15 amps
16 0.0508 10 amps
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
In order to measure the thickness of a piece of wire, you’ll need a wire gage measuring tool. Wire gage tools are very inexpensive and are available at hardware stores and electrical supply stores. The tools may be made of metal or plastic (plastic is generally cheaper and safer). A typical wire gage tool is shown in Figure 2.
To use the tool, simply insert the wire you want to measure into the slots in the tool until you find the smallest slot that the wire fits into snugly. The number next to that slot indicated the wire gage. In Figure 2, a piece of wire is being measured. This wire is gage 0.
Wire gage numbers are often stamped on a wire’s insulating jacket. Try measuring several different sizes of wire with the measuring tool, then compare your results to the numbers printed on the wire insulation to see if you’re correct.
Practical Exercise for Module 3 3
Warning: You should only use a wire gage tool to measure new pieces of wire, or a conductor in a disconnected circuit or on an unplugged appliance. NEVER use a wire gage tool to measure a service entrance cable or a conductor in a live circuit. A serious electrical shock hazard exists!
FIGURE 2—A typical wire gage tool is shown here.
Activity 2
In order to perform simple repairs on an electrical system in a piece of outdoor power equipment, you should be able to cut and strip wire, splice two wires together, and attach connectors to the ends of wires. Therefore, in this activity, we’ll look at the methods used to join and repair wires in an electricalsystem.Thetoolsandpartsneededtoperformthesetaskswillbecontainedinawirerepairkit.Thistypeofkitisinexpensiveandcanbepurchased atmosthardwarestores,discountstores,orelectricalsupplystores. The kit includes a wire stripping and crimping tool and several containers of small wire connectors and splices.
In this exercise, we’ll show you how to use a wire stripping and crimping tool and how to install wire connectors. You can simply read through the exercise, or if you wish, purchase a wire repair kit and practice the different techniques described. You’ll probably use the kit many times when you begin performing repairs on electrical systems in outdoor power equipment.
A close-up view of a wire stripping and crimping tool is shown in Figure 3. This tool has several different features that can be used to repair wire. Let’s look at the features shown in the figure from left to right. First, note that the tip of the tool is designed to be used as a pliers. The pliers end of the tool can be used to pick up or grasp small parts and also to bend wires. Next, moving to the right, you’ll see the area of the tool that’s used to strip wire. The tool has five different stripping holes to fit different wire gages. The number next to each hole indicates what wire gage should be stripped in that hole.
4 Practical Exercise for Module 3
FIGURE 3—This figure shows a close-up view of the wire stripping and crimping tool. Note the different areas of the tool that are used for wire stripping, wire cutting, bolt cutting, and crimping. The tip of the tool is designed to be used as a pliers. (Courtesy of Sears Craftsman)
Moving to the right again, you’ll see the bolt-cutting area of the tool. This part of the tool can be used to cut or trim the ends of small fasteners such as screws and bolts. The end of the fastener is inserted into one of the holes in the tool, and the tool handles are then squeezed together to cut off the fastener end.
Finally, near the handles of the tool is the crimping area. The term crimp means to pinch or press together in order to form a seal. If you place an object in the crimping area and squeeze the handles of the tool, the object will be pinched tightly. The crimping feature of the tool is used to install connectors on wires.
Stripping Wire
Now that you understand the features of the wire stripping and crimping tool, let’s take a closer look at the process used to strip wire. In order to connect pieces of insulated wire in a circuit, it’s necessary to strip short lengths of the plastic insulation off the ends of the wire in order to expose the metal inside. To prepare a piece of wire to be connected in a circuit, you would usually strip about 34 inch of insulation from the ends of the wire. To do this, place the wire end between the jaws of the stripping tool in the correct hole for the wire’s gage. Then, squeeze the tool’s handles to clamp the jaws tightly onto the wire. Finally, pull the wire out of the jaws of the tool to strip off the insulation.
Installing Connectors
Next, let’s take a look at the connectors that come in the wire repair kit. Figure 4 shows a wire nut, a butt splice, and a terminal end. All of these parts will be included in a typical wire repair kit. The wire nut and the butt splice are both used to connect two wire ends together. The terminal ends are attached to wires to provide convenient connectors that can be attached to other electrical devices. Let’s take a closer look at eac
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
each component.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
FIGURE 4—This figure shows a wire nut, a butt splice, and a terminal end. First, let’s look at the wire nut. A wire nut is a small device that looks a lot like the cap on a toothpaste tube. On the inside of the “cap” is a threaded metal insert. Wire nuts are used to connect the ends of two wires together and are very simple to install.
To connect the ends of two wires with a wire nut, strip the insulation off the two wire ends to expose about 34 inch of copper on each wire. Twist the two copper wire ends together (about two or three twists) just to hold them temporarily. Next, hold the two wire ends in your left hand, and hold the wire nut in your right hand. Insert the wire ends into the wire nut, and twist the
Practical Exercise for Module 3 5
FIGURE 4—This figure shows a wire nut, a butt splice, and a terminal end.
wire nut with your fingers until it tightens completely. Because the inside of the wire nut is threaded, the nut will grasp the wire ends and twist them to form a tight connection.
Wire nuts are generally used to connect wires in situations where little strain will be placed upon the wires (for example, inside the wall of a house). However, in lawn mowers and other power equipment applications, the vibration of the machine could cause a wire nut to loosen and fall off. For this reason, a butt splice may be a better connector in such a machine.
A butt splice is a small plastic tube with a metal liner. To use the splice, strip the two wire ends that you want to connect. Insert one wire into one end of the butt splice, then use the crimping tool to pinch the end of the butt splice tightly.Repeatthisprocedurefortheotherendofthesplice.Thecrimpingwill sealthetwowirestightlytogetherinsidethesplice,formingagoodelectrical connection.(Notethatonceabuttspliceis installed, it can only be removed by cutting the wires on both sides of the splice.)
The final connector we’ll look at is the terminal end. Although stripped wire ends can be attached directly to the terminals on other electrical devices, it’s generally preferable to install terminal ends on the wires. The terminal ends are tidy and easier to connect to other devices than are bare wire ends. To install a terminal end on a piece of wire, first strip 34 inch of insulation off the end of the wire. Then, insert the wire into the terminal end, and crimp the terminal end tightly to seal it onto the wire. The metal “ring” of the terminal end can then be attached to the terminal of any other electrical device (such as a switch, a battery, a bulb, and so on).
If you have a wire repair kit and a few short lengths of insulated wire available, you can practice installing these three types of wire repair devices. First, try to connect two wires together using a wire nut. Then, try connecting two wires with a butt splice. Finally, install terminal ends on two wire ends. This exercise will also provide you with experience in using the wire stripping and crimping tool.
Activity 3
In this activity, we’ll show you how to build a working circuit using a few simple electrical components. The components you’ll need are four 1.5 volt “C” batteries, a four-battery holder with wire leads, a small 6-volt light bulb with wire leads, a DPDT (double-pole double-throw) knife switch, and a few lengths of 20 or 22 gage wire. These components are very inexpensive and can be purchased at any electronics store.
The first and simplest circuit will contain only the batteries and the light bulb. Place the four “C” batteries in the holder. If necessary, strip 34 inch of insulation off the ends of the wire leads. Touch the ends of the bulb’s wire leads to the ends of the battery holder’s leads. The bulb should light up.
Next, connect the switch into the circuit. Connect one battery lead to a switch terminal, connect the other battery lead to a bulb lead, and connect the other bulb lead to the other switch terminal. These connections will look like those shown in Figure 5. (Note that the switch will probably have screw terminals. You can place a wire end under a screw terminal and tighten the screw
6 Practical Exercise for Module 3
down to make a connection. Or, if you wish, you can attach a terminal end to the wire and connect the terminal end under the screw.)
Turn on the switch to see whether the circuit operates properly. The bulb should light up when you throw the switch. If the bulb doesn’t light up, check your wire connections to make sure they’re connected properly.
Now that you’ve had a little practice in building circuits, try building some different circuit combinations. Try adding another switch to the circuit. Note how both switches will need to be closed in order for the bulb to light.
Activity 4
In this activity, we’ll show you how to use a multimeter to test one of the simple circuits you built in the previous exercise. You may remember that we mentioned the multimeter in an earlier study unit. A multimeter (also called a volt-ohm-milliameter or a VOM) is commonly used b
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Table 2
Component Meter Reading
Switch 1 (closed) 0 ohms
Switch 2 (closed) 0 ohms
Switch 3 (closed) 0 ohms
Switch 4 (closed) ——r——
Switch 1 (open) ——r——
Switch 2 (open) ——r——
Switch 3 (open) ——r——
Switch 4 (open) ——r——
Battery 12 V
Bulb 1 0 ohms
Bulb 2 ——r——
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I Was trying to post the study guide on here they have the questions on it. I don't know if u are able to help me with this

I believe that I can access that study guide. I will have a look at these questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thank you
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is the Exam Number: 08903501. Have to type it in every time I want to take this exam.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I called Penn Foster about question 13 on Exam 089020. The correct answer was C. Six. This type 0f stator receives its magnetism by means of six ceramic magnets mounted to the flywheel.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Was told I can take the test over again and that I have 30 days to do it in an the questions will me in different order. Think ill just leave it at Grade 95.

I will try to post answers for 08903501, if that meets your deadline.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That's fine I have till March 22 to have that exam turned in.

I meant to give a date above (3/7-8), but got distracted.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
O ok. That be great

Hello again,

Here are the answers for comparison to your own. Again, Let me know if you have questions about any of these responses. If the answers are satisfactory, please remember to provide a positive rating.

Exam #08903501

1. B. The idle mixture adjustment screw
2. A. The governor plate
3. B. Technician B and Technician C are both correct
4. D. The throttle side
5. A. The choke side
6. c. Removing a float hinge pin
7. C. the engine won’t start.
8. A. Once the engine is running, the blade switch can be opened and closed without affecting the
operation of the engine.
9. B. White
10. A. Yellow
11. C. Black
12. D. Red
13. C. The blade switch is faulty.
14. C. All three of the technicians are correct.
15. B. A needle and a float
16. D. A starter motor/generator
17. B. Turn the main fuel adjustment needle clockwise
18. D. Turn the main fuel adjustment needle counterclockwise
19. B. 35
20. A. 50
21. C. 1-1/4 turns
22. D. 2 turns
23. B. 11/64 inch
24. C. 1-1/32 inches
25. A. 0.010 inch

Hope this helps!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Chris I got a 96 on the test
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Chris sorry I haven't gotten back to you I work 3rd shift at my job it's making really hard to get my studies done. I appreciate your help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
These are my next exams. Exam Number: 08902200 Exam Number: 089023RR Exam Number: 089024RR Exam Number: 089025RR Exam Number: 08903600
Chris M.
Chris M.
Chris M., M.S.W. Social Work