Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

8. In spite of the difficulties that ABC... 8. In spite of…

Customer Question
8. In spite of the...
8. In spite of the difficulties that ABC...
8. In spite of the difficulties that ABC has caused the company, DEF still thinks that ABC
makes the best gaskets in the world. Since the client doesn’t want to end the relationship
between the companies, the attorney may suggest that ABC and DEF mutually agree to
set aside the arbitration clauseand instead try
A. early neutral evaluation. C. a minitrial.
B. med-arb. D. mediation.
9. The arbitrator makes an award promptly, but DEF is unhappy about the terms. DEF wants
to go to court to overturn the award, claiming that the arbitrator didn’t have the right
industry experience and that the award didn’t include any reasoning for the decision. Your
supervising attorney, Mr. Smith, advises them that
A. in America, you can always go to court.
B. courts will review binding arbitration awards only in cases of obvious fraud or
corruption.
C. the arbitrator should have included the reasons for the decision in a binding arbitration.
D. the arbitrator’s lack of industry experience invalidates the award.
Questions 10–14 are based on the following set of facts.
You’re a paralegal in a Massachusetts law firm that specializes in family law. Lorraine H has
come to you because she and her husband, Mark, have decided to divorce. The couple
lives in a suburb of Boston with their three small children, ages 4, 6, and 8. Lorraine
explains that they’re both very concerned about the impact of the divorce on the children.
Mark, an architect, is a partner in a large and successful Boston firm. He doesn’t plan to
leave Boston after the divorce. But Lorraine would like to return to California where the rest
of her family lives. She wants to take the children with her, although she expects that Mark
will have strong objections. Your supervising attorney explains that Massachusetts law
requires that divorce cases go first to mediation before they’re filed in court.
10. The local court appoints a mediator from its list of family law specialists. In one of your
meetings with Lorraine, she says, “Mark and I just can’t ever seem to come to a decision
about anything important. I’m so glad that there will be a mediator to make some decisions
for us.” You respond,
A. “I understand. We’re lucky to have such a thoughtful person as a mediator.”
B. “You and Mark will be making the decisions because the mediator doesn’t have that
authority.”
C. “You should talk about that with my supervising attorney.”
D. “If you and Mark can’t agree on important issues, maybe mediation isn’t the right kind
of ADR for this case.”
Examination 95
11. When the mediator raises the issue of Lorraine’s move to California, Mark becomes very
angry and accuses her of trying to steal his children. This upsets Lorraine, who begins to
cry, claiming that Mark never considers her personal needs. This exchange would occur in
what part of the mediation process?
A. Introduction C. Issue clarification
B. Generation of options
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Homework
1/4/2018
Tutor: rayanswers,
 replied 7 months ago
rayanswers

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Tutor: rayanswers,
 replied 7 months ago

8.D mediation

9.B courts will review binding arbitration awards only in the cases of obvious fraud.

10.A

11.C Issue clarification

Tutor: rayanswers,
 replied 7 months ago

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

Tutor: rayanswers,
 replied 7 months ago
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.