Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Later that same evening, Mrs. had a heart attack. Mr.

Customer Question
Later that same evening, Mrs...
Later that same evening, Mrs. B had a heart attack. Mr. B insisted that the ambulance crew
take her to a different hospital, which they did. She had emergency bypass which went
very well. She’s now recovering at home, and the recovery process is also going well.
1. You’re assigned to do the initial client interview. You begin with a few pleasantries about
the weather, but Mr. B interrupts you. “I know you guys believe in this alternative dispute
resolution stuff,” he says. “What kind of forum do you think will work for us? And how much
is this going to cost?” You should reply,
A. “Mediation often works well in these kinds of cases, and our firm charges hourly rates
that range from $50 to $200.”
B. “I won’t really know until we talk more about your wife’s condition.”
C. “ADR isn’t appropriate in situations like this.”
D. “I understand that you must be eager to discuss those kinds of issues, and I’m sure
that my supervising attorney, Ms. Jones, will be happy to go over them with you.”
2. You continue the interview by trying to find out as much as you can about the hospital’s
conduct and Mrs. B’s condition. During this process, you’ll
A. use mostly direct questions, since they’re the most efficient way to get information.
B. ask Mr. B leading questions, since it sounds like the emergency room doctor was
totally wrong.
C. begin with open-ended questions to get a general idea of what happened.
D. focus on getting the information your firm requires on its “New Client Form.”
3. As the interview progresses, Mr. B tells you that he’s very angry at the hospital. He says
things like, “I want them to suffer like my wife is suffering,” and “I don’t care how long this
takes, I want them to pay.” You should
A. get angry too, because your client deserves a legal team that will fight for him.
B. try to maintain a businesslike attitude, since it’s your job to get information.
C. make sure to discuss Mr. B’s anger with your supervising attorney, since it may mean
that his case isn’t appropriate for ADR.
D. offer to help him find a good therapist so that he’ll be calm at a hearing.
4. Ms. Jones decides to file a lawsuit on behalf of Mr. and Mrs. B against the hospital. Early in
the discovery process, she gets a call from the hospital’s attorney. At this early stage in the
litigation, Ms. Jones believes that the hospital wants to
A. arbitrate. C. ask for a summary jury trial.
B. mediate. D. negotiate.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Homework
1/3/2018
Tutor: KJLLAW,
 replied 6 months ago
KJLLAW
Good morning. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today
Tutor: KJLLAW,
 replied 6 months ago
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.