Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

For a square 3D object (Width = w, Height = h, Depth = d)

Customer Question
that weights 150g and is...
For a square 3D object (Width = w, Height = h, Depth = d) that weights 150g and is located 25cm above the floor. What is the weight you need to add to one side (top, bottom, left or right) of the object that will cause the object to fall directly on the side where the weight was added. The initial state of the object is facing the floor in the opposite direction of the weight you've added. Please show the formula you've used.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Homework
Attached is a drawing of the problem
Answered in 3 days by:
12/30/2017
Tutor: Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student replied 7 months ago
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Graduate Student

I want to understand the question. "The initial state of the object is facing the floor in the opposite direction of the weight you've added."

Does that mean that if you put the weight on the left side, that the right side is already facing the floor, making it the bottom side?

When the object face is horizontal (-----) it doesn't really matters, as if you'd put a weight on the left or right side the height from the floor is the same, and the rotation will be the same. However, when the object is vertical (|), the weight should be on the top, so the object will have to rotate by the time it hits the floor.