Homework

Homework Questions? Ask a Tutor for Answers ASAP

Homework

The veterinarian has just finished repairing a dog's broken…

Customer Question
the veterinarian has just finished...
the veterinarian has just finished repairing a dog's broken leg. The surgery has taken four hours and the dog has just come off the anesthetic machine. Your responsibility is to sit with dog and watch him to ensure a smooth recovery. The dog is still completely unconscious and his body temperature is 92.7. Explain in detail when and how you would recover the patient.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Homework
12/19/2017
Tutor: Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Veterinarian

Start active heat support immediately with warmed IV fuids ( help flush out anesthetic drugs and keep the patients blood pressure up: since hypothermia lowers blood pressure) , barr hugger, warmed towels etc. Take temperatures every 10-15 minutes. Heart and respiration rate every 5 minutes ( can use a pulse Ox to help monitor heart rate). Stimulate the patient gently with rubbing motions. IF the patient is small enough place in an incubator if available and follow parameters above.

I also will keep patients on flow by O2 for at least 5-10 minutes after surgery to provide extra oxygen support.

Patient should also stay intubated until demonstrating that they can protect their own airway ( swallowing a good 2-4 times)

I will continue heat support until they are able to maintain their own body temperatures and are bright alert and responsive. Often once their core temp reaches around 100 degrees I will remove heat support as long as they are awake and then wrap them in good blankets and stay with them until they are able to stand and walk on their own. I then have a technician monitor them for at least a couple hours checking on them every 10-15 minutes ensuring pain control is good and they are continuing to recover on their own.

Once again this is how I usually do things, but you should tailor this with information you have learned in lecture.

I am still assuming you are either a veterinarian student or a veterinarian technician

If this was helpful I would be most appreciative if you could take the time to rate my assistance so the site will credit me with helping you

Without a rating (the stars at the top) the site will not compensate me for helping you.

I am also here for additional questions you may have, just reach out to me here and I will be more than happy to assist you.

Kind regards,

Dr. Meghan Denney

This Content is not intended to be a substitute for a professional veterinary exam, diagnostics, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your attending veterinarian with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition of a pet.

Tutor: Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I would pick up where Dr. Denney left off. Dogs will be slow to recover after a long surgery, especially when their core body temp is low. I would recommend starting him on warmed IV fluids to help increase core temperature. I would also apply an external heat source such as warmed blankets and a Bair Hugger. I would monitor heart rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure closely post-op as well until he is able to maintain his body temperature adequately and is stable enough to be left alone in a cage or run. I would make sure to keep oxygen on the patient for at least 5 minutes after being extubated (once he can swallow adequately) to support the patient. I hope that answers your question adequately.

Tutor: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian